Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

30 Something Moms 30 Something Moms

The son that hates me :(

Posted by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 4:40 PM
  • 4 Replies

My son is 4 and he is so mean to me almost everyday. He tells me he doesn't want me anymore and I should just go away and never come back. Ladies what should I do?  Now my 2 year old has started repeating my 4 year old.

by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 4:40 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
Firewoman33
by Silver Member on Apr. 9, 2013 at 6:17 PM
3 moms liked this

*hugs* mama

That's a tough one. Personally, I wouldn't allow it.

My son went through a phase where he started to speak negatively about me. it really hurt. I just had to remember that he was a small child and didn't really understand what it was he was saying. 

I would give him a time out and explain about speaking respactfully to me. I also told him that it is ok to be mad at me but it is not ok to speak like that. He can say "I'm angry that you abc",  but he couldn't use strong words. Hate in our house falls under the strong words category.

It took a lot of consistency but now at 5 it is no longer an issue. 

12yrmama
by Bronze Member on Apr. 9, 2013 at 8:54 PM

R.E.S.P.E.C.T.

My dd started talking, meanly, back to me when she was 3. Now 4. At first I was pretty mellow, "Riley that isn't a nice way to talk to mommy. I don't like those words." Then when it continued it became "NO. You will not speak to me that way. Time out."

We still have issues some days. But she knows whats coming if she does it. I think her and I will butt heads for a loooong time coming.

KylesMom409
by Linnette on Apr. 9, 2013 at 8:55 PM
Good advice.

Quoting Firewoman33:

*hugs* mama

My son went through a phase where he started to speak negatively about me. it really hurt. I just had to remember that he was a small child and didn't really understand what it was he was saying. 

I would give him a time out and explain about speaking respactfully to me. I also told him that it is ok to be mad at me but it is not ok to speak like that. He can say "I'm angry that you abc",  but he couldn't use strong words. Hate in our house falls under the strong words category.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
IQuitCounting
by Bronze Member on Apr. 9, 2013 at 9:02 PM

Same.  My son did that a few times, the "I hate you!" things but I just explained that it hurt my feelings and that it was behavior that was not acceptable.  He can be mad at me, he can tell me why, but he was not allowed to lash out like that.  He got over it pretty quickly.  He's four now and he will definately tell me when he doesn't like something I've said or done, but he doesn't tell me he hates me or anything like that.

Quoting Firewoman33:

*hugs* mama

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)