Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

girls shaving

Posted by on Apr. 10, 2013 at 10:31 PM
  • 69 Replies

The weather here turned from winter to summer almost overnight.  Yesterday after school pickup I mentioned to my 2 girls that I needed to dig out the shorts for them to wear to school.  My 10 year old informed me that she will not be wearing shorts until she can shave and that ALL her friends are already doing it.  (when I asked who, she named her 2 best friends)  I didn't start shaving until I was probably 13 or 14.  I don't want her to roast all summer, but I don't think she's old enough or responsible enough (that's the big one) to start shaving.  What do you all think?

by on Apr. 10, 2013 at 10:31 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
story0702
by Member on Apr. 10, 2013 at 10:41 PM
My daughters both started about that age . Actually my oldest daughter was 9 she has very dark very think hair . Both girls felt uncomfortable with hairy legs. Girls are maturing faster these days.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
conniejo75
by Bronze Member on Apr. 10, 2013 at 10:42 PM
I started in 6th grade but I have blonde hair so not as noticeable. I would let her if it is bothering her already.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
e-doolittle
by Kelly on Apr. 10, 2013 at 11:25 PM

seems young, but I know girls do things younger than we did.

DragonMother10
by on Apr. 10, 2013 at 11:29 PM
1 mom liked this
I started shaving at her age. Your daughter is starting to feel self conscious. It's your daughter of course, but I don't see the harm in letting her shave.
ooCherryo0
by on Apr. 10, 2013 at 11:33 PM

I've been debating this too... My daughter is 11 and will be 12 this year. She just started her period this month. I was trying to decide if that should be the right of passage since she started. She wanted to start shaving last year and I told her no.

lalasmama2007
by Ticia on Apr. 10, 2013 at 11:34 PM
1 mom liked this

If it's bothering her, I would let her do it.  I'd get her a battery operated razor though.

Lorena
by Member on Apr. 10, 2013 at 11:36 PM
My Dd is 11 and started shaving her legs when she was about 8. She is part Mexican and had very dark hair on her legs. She came home crying after some kids where picking on her for it. I feel that it is a personal decision of each girl and her parents.
FIREFOX1336
by on Apr. 10, 2013 at 11:38 PM
I started at 11 but only because my leg hair came through panty hose. That is the sole reason my parents let me
kjbugsmom1517
by Member on Apr. 10, 2013 at 11:39 PM
2 moms liked this
Personally if my daughter came to me and expressed embarrassment id let her shave. Or nair or veet or something. I was picked on super bad cuz my mom wouldnt let me shave.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
trippsgirl
by Member on Apr. 10, 2013 at 11:44 PM
1 mom liked this

Oy! I am dreading the period!  I was talking with my hubby about all this tonight.  She is so NOT a responsible girl.  I have to remind her to brush her teeth every day and use a comb on wet hair.  Sometimes I have to send her back to the shower to re-wash her hair because she either "forgot" to do it or it wasn't done well enough.  How is she supposed to remember to change her pad when she's on her period?  I'm praying she doesn't start anytime soon.  That's something I can't control.  But the shaving??  I feel like I can put that off a bit longer.  She have never mentioned being self conscious about hairy legs before this week.  And I just don't feel that because her friends are doing it is a good enough reason to let her start.

Quoting ooCherryo0:

I've been debating this too... My daughter is 11 and will be 12 this year. She just started her period this month. I was trying to decide if that should be the right of passage since she started. She wanted to start shaving last year and I told her no.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)