Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

30 Something Moms 30 Something Moms

Need advice! Air travel with a 4mo

Posted by on Apr. 11, 2013 at 1:12 PM
  • 10 Replies
Hi ladies! My hubby and I will be taking our little boy to meet his grandfather next month. We live in the DC area and grandpa is in Louisiana. There are no direct flights, so with a healthy layover it is going to be a looooong day. I would LOVE to get some advice from some more experienced moms with some travel tips. Any advice you have from how to cope on the flight and in the airport to what to pack for the trip would be very helpful. Thanks so much! Mel :-D
CafeMom Tickers
by on Apr. 11, 2013 at 1:12 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Fidget.wood
by on Apr. 11, 2013 at 2:31 PM

Hi Mel, 

The first time I traveled I actually used a list that the bump.com had for those traveling with a small child. It was a life saver for me. You can even google travel checklist fr infant and get some great results. 

mommymeade
by on Apr. 11, 2013 at 3:20 PM

You will be fine, bring formula etc and just love on that baby. most liekely will sleep on the flight.  Give bottle at take off and landing to releve pressure from ears ( or nurse or pacifier)

Pell-Mel
by on Apr. 11, 2013 at 3:42 PM
Good suggestion, but did you find that you ended up being overpacked? I used a list from The Bump to pack for the hospital and ended up with so much stuff that we never touched.
Quoting Fidget.wood:

Hi Mel, 

The first time I traveled I actually used a list that the bump.com had for those traveling with a small child. It was a life saver for me. You can even google travel checklist fr infant and get some great results. 

Pell-Mel
by on Apr. 11, 2013 at 3:44 PM
FINGERS CROSSED!!! ha ha. Thanks for the suggestion! :-)
Quoting mommymeade:

most liekely will sleep on the flight.p>

EmilyG10
by on Apr. 11, 2013 at 4:30 PM

Agree!!! Thats the hard part making them confortable on the take off and landings! Babycenter.com has a great list on traveling as well.

Quoting mommymeade:

You will be fine, bring formula etc and just love on that baby. most liekely will sleep on the flight.  Give bottle at take off and landing to releve pressure from ears ( or nurse or pacifier)

EmilyG10
by on Apr. 11, 2013 at 4:32 PM

Be prepared for a long wait at the security line they check ALL formula and baby food jars and some toys like rattles.

Pell-Mel
by on Apr. 11, 2013 at 5:00 PM

Thanks Emily! And thanks for the heads up about Security. You hate to get to the airport too early (like you really need to spend MORE time there with a baby, right?!), but sounds like it would be smart to plan for some extra time.

Quoting EmilyG10:

Agree!!! Thats the hard part making them confortable on the take off and landings! Babycenter.com has a great list on traveling as well.

jillg24
by on Apr. 11, 2013 at 5:54 PM

I would take single serving packs of formula if you don't breast feed. If you want to bring baby food I would do Plum Organics baby food pouches with attachable spoon. I liked a baby carrier more than a stroller in the airport but that's just me. Will your baby have his own seat? if not I would look into any airplane baby seat It attaches to the seat in-front of you & around your waist. It is best to have the baby sucking on a pacifier or bottle during take off & landing as well...may have more tips in a bit (my son is 6 & has been to 9 states so far

Pell-Mel
by on Apr. 11, 2013 at 6:02 PM
Right now, my son HATES his carrier, but I am trying to get him used to it. It seems like it would be much easier to manage than dealing with gate checking the stroller. At the rate I am going though, we'll probably have to take the stroller as he goes into a full meltdown the minute I put him in. Argh! :-\
Quoting jillg24:

Will your baby have his own seat? if not I would look into any airplane baby seat It attaches to the seat in-front of you & around your waist.

No, he will be on my lap. This is a great suggestion. I will check into it!!!
Quoting jillg24:

Will your baby have his own seat? if not I would look into any airplane baby seat It attaches to the seat in-front of you & around your waist.

EmilyG10
by on Apr. 12, 2013 at 7:27 AM
1 mom liked this

Your welcome! You'll need the extra time for sure. There should be a family line you can get in to, I know at DIA  there was. Just remember the end results ( your son will meet his grandpa) and you will be fine!!!

Quoting Pell-Mel:

Thanks Emily! And thanks for the heads up about Security. You hate to get to the airport too early (like you really need to spend MORE time there with a baby, right?!), but sounds like it would be smart to plan for some extra time.

Quoting EmilyG10:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)