Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding vs. Bottle feeding will she forget how to latch?!? Please help with advice

Posted by on Apr. 12, 2013 at 2:41 PM
  • 16 Replies
I don't think I'm producing enough milk for my baby. I'm a new first time mom and very confused. We've been supplementing with bottled breast milk once a day. Has anyone tried this, have any further advice, or most importantly will she eventually have issues latching on bc she would be so used to the bottle nipple? I've had such issues latching with her and have come so close to giving up on nursing and going right to formula, but I really love the bonding experience. Please help!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 12, 2013 at 2:41 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lcm3181
by on Apr. 12, 2013 at 2:55 PM
1 mom liked this

Just eliminate bottles and trust nature. Only about 3% of women can truly not breasfeed. The more you bottle feed the less you will make. Also it comes out faster out of a bottle so the baby will enjoy that more, less work for more food! Don't give up, it's not easy but it's so worth it!

SuperPickle
by Silver Member on Apr. 12, 2013 at 2:55 PM

how old is your baby? It takes a while to get a good pattern of breastfeeding established. Why do you feel she isnt getting enough? 

Supplementing with bottles is a slippery slope with breastfeeding. It is SO much easier to get milk from a bottle nipple so if introduced too early babies will gravitate towards the easiness of bottles....and you will get less and less stimulation and your supply will drop.

EmmasMommy324
by on Apr. 12, 2013 at 3:02 PM
She's almost 3 weeks. She had a little issue gaining weight that first week-2. I'm really trying to get a pattern down but sometimes she sleeps 1 hr sometimes 2 and sometimes 4 hours. I was concerned I'll never get a routine. They also told me that I have a "glandular" issue and advised I take "galactacogs" (might be spelled wrong) but its fennel, fenugreek and blessed thistle to help with milk production.
EmmasMommy324
by on Apr. 12, 2013 at 3:12 PM
She's almost 3 weeks. She had a little issue gaining weight that first week-2. I'm really trying to get a pattern down but sometimes she sleeps 1 hr sometimes 2 and sometimes 4 hours. I was concerned I'll never get a routine. They also told me that I have a "glandular" issue and advised I take "galactacogs" (might be spelled wrong) but its fennel, fenugreek and blessed thistle to help with milk production.

Quoting SuperPickle:

how old is your baby? It takes a while to get a good pattern of breastfeeding established. Why do you feel she isnt getting enough? 

Supplementing with bottles is a slippery slope with breastfeeding. It is SO much easier to get milk from a bottle nipple so if introduced too early babies will gravitate towards the easiness of bottles....and you will get less and less stimulation and your supply will drop.

SuperPickle
by Silver Member on Apr. 12, 2013 at 3:20 PM

toss those bottles mama. 3 weeks is too early to have them in the picture if you want to be successful in breastfeeding. A true pattern of feeding wont really be visable until 3-4 months. Til then just feed on demand and if she is having a good amount of soiled diapers and growing on her curve(some grow slower than others!!) try not to worry. Good Luck YOU CAN DO IT!!!

for a good latch tickle her little cheek and when she opens her mouth get that nipple deep in there. They should have a good portion of the aerola in there too, not just the tip.

Quoting EmmasMommy324:

Quoting SuperPickle:

EmmasMommy324
by on Apr. 12, 2013 at 3:23 PM
Thanks so much! That really makes me feel better!! 😃

Quoting SuperPickle:

toss those bottles mama. 3 weeks is too early to have them in the picture if you want to be successful in breastfeeding. A true pattern of feeding wont really be visable until 3-4 months. Til then just feed on demand and if she is having a good amount of soiled diapers and growing on her curve(some grow slower than others!!) try not to worry. Good Luck YOU CAN DO IT!!!

for a good latch tickle her little cheek and when she opens her mouth get that nipple deep in there. They should have a good portion of the aerola in there too, not just the tip.

Quoting EmmasMommy324:

Quoting SuperPickle:

SuperPickle
by Silver Member on Apr. 12, 2013 at 3:26 PM

youre very welcome and the best of luck to you! Breastfeeding is a tough job but it really does pay off when you get into the swing of it. 

Quoting EmmasMommy324:

Thanks so much! That really makes me feel better!! 😃

Quoting SuperPickle:

isaacsmommy68
by Member on Apr. 12, 2013 at 3:51 PM

Join the breastfeeding group here at Cafemom. They are great help with any questions you may have. You can do it. Toss the bottles and your milk supply will adjust to your babies needs.

EmmasMommy324
by on Apr. 12, 2013 at 3:53 PM
Oh that would be great. I'm sorry I'm new here, where is the breastfeeding group?

Quoting isaacsmommy68:

Join the breastfeeding group here at Cafemom. They are great help with any questions you may have. You can do it. Toss the bottles and your milk supply will adjust to your babies needs.

EmmasMommy324
by on Apr. 12, 2013 at 4:06 PM
Excellent! Thanks so much Tracy. I got it!! -Erin

Quoting isaacsmommy68:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)