Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

30 Something Moms 30 Something Moms

How do you get the smell off?

Posted by on Apr. 12, 2013 at 6:09 PM
  • 43 Replies
My family went to the Oregon coast this past weekend and we brought home some shells. Now, they stink really bad! How do I clean them so the smell goes away? Even though they were in plastic baggies, my room now stinks! I really don't want to throw them away, as they are pretty and will help with memories.
by on Apr. 12, 2013 at 6:09 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
e-doolittle
by Kelly on Apr. 12, 2013 at 6:12 PM

I think you have to boil them.

Junebaby18
by Nannerz on Apr. 12, 2013 at 6:18 PM
Quoting e-doolittle:

I think you have to boil them.

I would think it would make the whole house smell like poop and death! (That's what they smell like now!) lol
proudmommy690
by on Apr. 12, 2013 at 6:19 PM
Soak them in warm soapy water then wash them or something? I lm not sure just a suggestion.

Oops sorry i just realized im not in this group yet :/ it was on my home page lol.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
liss05
by Gold Member on Apr. 12, 2013 at 6:21 PM

This.

Quoting proudmommy690:

Soak them in warm soapy water then wash them or something? I lm not sure just a suggestion.

Oops sorry i just realized im not in this group yet :/ it was on my home page lol.

Junebaby18
by Nannerz on Apr. 12, 2013 at 6:22 PM
Quoting proudmommy690:

I tried to wash them by hand with dish soap and it worked a little but not enough. I'm going to be sad if I have to toss them. :-(
Cate1129
by on Apr. 12, 2013 at 6:39 PM
1 mom liked this
Try vinegar?? It gets lots of smells out.
LilliesValley
by on Apr. 12, 2013 at 6:41 PM
Bleach and water. They lighten a little bit but it's better than throwing them out. We usually let them sit for a day. Do a test batch on one or two.
louiegirl62
by on Apr. 12, 2013 at 6:44 PM
2 moms liked this

Rinse them off and let them dry. Don't keep them in plastic bags, that is why they stink. Put them in paper sacks or a bucket. They need air or they will stink like dead ocean.

annelauer
by on Apr. 12, 2013 at 6:44 PM
I agree with the bleach water.
countrymomma81
by Platinum Member on Apr. 12, 2013 at 6:59 PM

I have no idea...lol. We went to Florida last year and that's one thing we didn't even think of doing is collecting shells. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)