Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

30 Something Moms 30 Something Moms

Drinking at a child's practice?

Posted by on Apr. 14, 2013 at 11:49 PM
  • 229 Replies
2 moms liked this

We get to my daughter's softball practice yesterday and this woman comes put her chair by mine and starts chatting with me. I realize that our kids were in cheer together back in the fall so I tried to make conversation with her but then she got gossipy about some stuff that went down with our cheer coach and her husband so I kinda pulled away and quit talking. I hate gossip. 

During the whole practice she kept giggling at nothing then yelling at her daughter for no reason. At one point her husband asked her to please quiet down.  Once practice ended we were packing up to leave and she mentioned needing a refill, then she started giggling again. I kind of looked at her and she said "yeah, I had to stop and get an amaretto sour before coming and dealing with all these kids and I'm out". Um, ok. 

Ok, I'll be the first to admit that I have little to no patience with children, even my own. But....I have never, ever been tempted to bring a drink with me to any of my children's practices or games. I completely understand having a bad day but from what I understand this woman drinks like this daily. How sad. Now that I think about it I remember one day at cheer practice she never showed up to get her daughter (we aren't even supposed to leave them there) and someone had to bring her daughter to her because she was drunk. I definitely don't know what she's going through and I'm trying super hard not to judge but geez, bringing an alcoholic beverage to your 6 year old's softball practice?

Is this something you would do or have done?

by on Apr. 14, 2013 at 11:49 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
JasonsMom2007
by Lisa on Apr. 14, 2013 at 11:51 PM
1 mom liked this
How sad
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
countrymomma81
by Platinum Member on Apr. 14, 2013 at 11:56 PM

Quoting JasonsMom2007:

How sad

I thought so too but I'm trying really hard not to judge. It's hard but I don't know what she goes through on a daily basis. She seemed really on edge with her children. She also had a little boy, maybe 1 or 2. He kept putting his arm through the fence and the girls were throwing the balls against the fence and catching them so I mentioned that she might want to stop him from doing that and she just shrugged and made an ugly face at him. 

mommybug77
by on Apr. 14, 2013 at 11:58 PM
Yeah, not cool
countrymomma81
by Platinum Member on Apr. 15, 2013 at 12:02 AM

Quoting mommybug77:

Yeah, not cool

I didn't think so either. She seemed almost proud of it. If not proud, certainly not afraid to hide it. Either way it's sad. 

annelauer
by on Apr. 15, 2013 at 12:04 AM
3 moms liked this
I've joked about having a bar put in at our daughter's dance studio. I'm there 6 nights a week for 3-4 hours and if I didn't have to drive, I might have a glass of wine now and again... Okay, I probably wouldn't, but in theory it'd be nice. That said, it sounds like that lady might have a drinking problem.
TTC2Long
by on Apr. 15, 2013 at 12:05 AM
7 moms liked this
That's called a red flag.
graycalico
by on Apr. 15, 2013 at 2:36 AM
1 mom liked this

Not something I would do. I've rarely had any alcohol around my kids, much less actually been intoxicated.

mrsary
by Silver Member on Apr. 15, 2013 at 3:11 AM
Yes, so I seeked help for my alcohol problem. Just like her I needed alcohol to deal with my children. Once my kids got out of the baby stage I became very unhappy. Now I just deal with it.
Vix920
by on Apr. 15, 2013 at 6:28 AM
5 moms liked this

Tacky! Alcohol & children's events have no business mixing.

countrymomma81
by Platinum Member on Apr. 15, 2013 at 8:09 AM

Quoting graycalico:

Not something I would do. I've rarely had any alcohol around my kids, much less actually been intoxicated.

Yeah, same here. We don't bring our kids to events where this alcohol being served. You just can't trust others. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN