Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

30 Something Moms 30 Something Moms

can you save my back?

Posted by on Apr. 16, 2013 at 1:28 AM
  • 33 Replies
1 mom liked this
I've discovered something new that really calms my almost 6 year old who has sensory processing disorder. Going to stores is really hard for him. The lights, the people, the sounds, the smells, etc. I've recently discovered that when he gets overstimulated hanging really helps him.
I live 40 miles from all major stores so when we go shopping we have to hit everything we need in one day. Not taking him isn't an option. Not only do I not have anybody to leave him with but we can't work on improving things if he never goes.
Today I was able to keep him from becoming overstimulated and melting down by grabbing onto his hands and picking him up whenever I could tell it was too much. He hasn't been that well behaved in stores... well as long as I can remember. It really helped him.
But now I'm paying the price for lifting my 40 lb 45" son off of the ground by his hands all day. My shoulders are massively painful and swollen from it.
The pushing doesn't work it has to be a full stretch from the hands.
Any ideas of how we can do this in public and save my poor back?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 16, 2013 at 1:28 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
LivinDeadGurl
by Maranda on Apr. 16, 2013 at 10:52 AM

BUMP!

diaperstodating
by Angel on Apr. 16, 2013 at 10:54 AM

Bump

SoontobaMom
by on Apr. 16, 2013 at 1:50 PM

Ive been racking my brain all day trying to figure out a solution for you but I keep coming up with nothing

Quoting JasonsMom2007:

I've discovered something new that really calms my almost 6 year old who has sensory processing disorder. Going to stores is really hard for him. The lights, the people, the sounds, the smells, etc. I've recently discovered that when he gets overstimulated hanging really helps him.
I live 40 miles from all major stores so when we go shopping we have to hit everything we need in one day. Not taking him isn't an option. Not only do I not have anybody to leave him with but we can't work on improving things if he never goes.
Today I was able to keep him from becoming overstimulated and melting down by grabbing onto his hands and picking him up whenever I could tell it was too much. He hasn't been that well behaved in stores... well as long as I can remember. It really helped him.
But now I'm paying the price for lifting my 40 lb 45" son off of the ground by his hands all day. My shoulders are massively painful and swollen from it.

HockeyDanceMom
by on Apr. 16, 2013 at 1:55 PM

Bump

Wife to Jason (07/10/98), Mommy to Michael James (03/21/00), Madalyn Rose (02/27/03), Emily Grace (01/07/05), Daniel Joseph (01/04/06) & Christopher Thomas (03/21/11).

JasonsMom2007
by Lisa on Apr. 16, 2013 at 1:55 PM

well thanks for trying :)

Quoting SoontobaMom:

Ive been racking my brain all day trying to figure out a solution for you but I keep coming up with nothing

Quoting JasonsMom2007:

Being a full-time mother is one of the highest salaried jobs in my field, since the payment is pure love.  ~Mildred B. Vermont
nurse1997
by on Apr. 16, 2013 at 4:04 PM
1 mom liked this

Stop you cant keep picking this kid up find a new way to calm him good luck .

Quoting JasonsMom2007:

LaughterHugs
by on Apr. 16, 2013 at 4:05 PM
1 mom liked this

preschool kinderpack, toddler tula, preK dream carrier

here's my 46inch, 43lb 5yr old in a dream carrier at disneyland  :)

I am not raising good children, I am raising good adults.

JasonsMom2007
by Lisa on Apr. 16, 2013 at 4:08 PM

I'm working on fighting insurance to find a better OT who can teach us better coping techniques.  In the meantime it's whatever I can manage to do that helps.

Quoting nurse1997:

Quoting JasonsMom2007:

Being a full-time mother is one of the highest salaried jobs in my field, since the payment is pure love.  ~Mildred B. Vermont
JasonsMom2007
by Lisa on Apr. 16, 2013 at 4:09 PM

He needs the pressure on his arms from dangling.  That's what helps him.  He panics in small spaces.

Quoting LaughterHugs:

preschool kinderpack, toddler tula, preK dream carrier

here's my 46inch, 43lb 5yr old in a dream carrier at disneyland  :)

nurse1997
by on Apr. 16, 2013 at 4:20 PM
1 mom liked this

Speak to a local hospital maybe they can give you some ideas,I know its hard when the insurance wont cover things blow up that phone book keep calling until you find a doctor that can give any advice its just finding that one person that can help  dont give up ;]                                

I'm working on fighting insurance to find a better OT who can teach us better coping techniques.  In the meantime it's whatever I can manage to do that helps.

Quoting nurse1997:

Quoting JasonsMom2007:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN