Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Single parents with a significant other

Posted by on Apr. 16, 2013 at 6:29 PM
  • 11 Replies

My boyfriend has 2 kids (6 and 8) 100% of the time. I have 2 kids (3 and 6) and their dad has them everyother weekend and wed evenings. The relationship of one year is straining because I am feeling like it is slipping. He thinks having date night once every other month is enough. We live a few blocks from each other. His mother is very willing to help. Am I being greedy? Once a month would be nice!

by on Apr. 16, 2013 at 6:29 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
hollydaze1974
by on Apr. 16, 2013 at 6:50 PM
1 mom liked this
I think I'd end it, hon. It does not seem like he has the time and doesn't want to make the time for you... :-/

You aren't being greedy if his mother has offered to help and. He isn't taking her up.... Well, he doesn't sound like he's ready to date quite yet, let alone establish something serious.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
BuckeyezRule
by Bronze Member on Apr. 16, 2013 at 7:07 PM
1 mom liked this

Does he come over and spend time with you? Or do you only see him sporadically? My hubby and I rarely have date nights, but, we live in the same house and I always see him. Lol

lcm3181
by on Apr. 17, 2013 at 10:00 AM

We see each other every day. We have the kids in sports so that takes up 3 nights a week and an afternoon every weekend. There is no time where it is just him and I. Except for the weekends when I don't have my kids and I sleep over. But that consists of laying in bed until we fall asleep. He is an amazing dad. Amazing guy. 99% of our time together is with children. I love the kids. Mine and his. But I 'm in this relationship for him. He is my boyfriend.

Jinxed8
by Gold Member on Apr. 17, 2013 at 11:05 AM

you're not being greedy once a month is bare minimum !  Hey I have DD 12 days out of 14 and DH doesn't have any kids.  Once a week while DD is at gym we go eat out together at the restaurant ; it's like a mini date night !  Then the 2 weekends a month she's at her dad's we make sure that we make it worth our while !!

plprincess78
by Member on Apr. 17, 2013 at 4:57 PM

It's really all how you feel..do you think you might have a future with this guy?

I'm in a similar situation but it sounds like you see your guy a whole lot more than I get to see mine.  Some months I only get to see him a couple times a month..others its a couple times a week.  It really depends our our schedules and our kids.  I have 2 that I have 80% of the time, he's got a daughther that he has every weekend.  So we get very limited time together. Granted this is because we chose not to introduce the kids till we were both ready and we haven't gotten to that point yet.

Either way..you have to do what's best for you.  If you get to see him daily.  while a date night would be nice.  To me it wouldn't be a deal breaker.

all2gethernow
by on Apr. 17, 2013 at 5:27 PM
1 mom liked this

My SO and I have been together for 7 years, 4 years of that was long distance. I have four kids, and I have to admit, a date night every other month would be a blessing to me! My SO owns four companies, I homeschool, as well as go to school fulltime for my degree, and my kids are involved in something every night of the week and all day saturday. It works for us, but then again, I think we are just so busy we don't notice...and we have an incredible relationship:)

I think you just need to decide what is right for you-four kids total is ALOT, and that keeps one busy!

graycalico
by on Apr. 18, 2013 at 3:28 AM

Once a month is extremely reasonable. It's wonderful that he's so dedicated to his kids, but there should be some balance.

lovemybabes3
by on Apr. 18, 2013 at 9:47 AM

i dont get to see my bf as much but we make it work, its hard but we do what we can...we dont do really big dates often, like were we go out to a nice restaurant...he hates wasting money on big places but does it for me when we can...we dont have the money to always go out but we spend whatever time we can...i really could care less about big dates, its spending time w/ the person and since we dont see each other all the time, any time together is better then nothing

jazzymom760
by on Apr. 18, 2013 at 3:48 PM

This

Quoting graycalico:

Once a month is extremely reasonable. It's wonderful that he's so dedicated to his kids, but there should be some balance.

lcm3181
by on Apr. 19, 2013 at 8:04 AM
I don't like expensive date nights. I just want time alone.

Quoting lovemybabes3:

i dont get to see my bf as much but we make it work, its hard but we do what we can...we dont do really big dates often, like were we go out to a nice restaurant...he hates wasting money on big places but does it for me when we can...we dont have the money to always go out but we spend whatever time we can...i really could care less about big dates, its spending time w/ the person and since we dont see each other all the time, any time together is better then nothing

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)