Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

30 Something Moms 30 Something Moms

IUD's

Posted by on Apr. 16, 2013 at 9:34 PM
  • 24 Replies

I had the Mirena put in April of 2008... it's been 5 years and i need to make an appt to have in removed. I loved the mirena... no cramps, headaches, or any other complications for the entire duration. Last night i had some bleeding.. nothing heavy.. today it was even lighter. No cramps, backaches, headaches... nothing. I'm in the process of finding a new OBGYN but i want to go prepared. I've heard good things about Nuva ring and of course Mirena is still an option. My cousin had some kind of tubal surgery done (can't remember the exact procedure) and she is really pleased. I'm not 100% sure united healthcare covers the removal and insertion of mirena or any other kind of IUD.. i will have to double check all of that.

What are your opinions or recommendations of IUD's! Thanks!!

by on Apr. 16, 2013 at 9:34 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Dlunsford
by on Apr. 16, 2013 at 9:44 PM
I'd definitely try the Mirena again. I got my first in Oct and I've had mild side effects....the stupid spotting and weight gain. I had the nuvaring years ago, but I like the Mirena mainly bc you really don't have a period. I bet your ins would cover it. I had united healthcare when I got mine. I called my ins co and they told me it wasn't covered, but when the dr office called to get preauthorization it was covered...so I'd have the OBGYN check for you. Your cousin may have had her tubes tied or they do another surgery where they go in and scrape (can't remember exactly what it's called), but there generally has to be a medical problem for ins to pay for that.
Dlunsford
by on Apr. 16, 2013 at 9:50 PM
Quoting Dlunsford:

I'd definitely try the Mirena again. I got my first in Oct and I've had mild side effects....the stupid spotting and weight gain. I had the nuvaring years ago, but I like the Mirena mainly bc you really don't have a period. I bet your ins would cover it. I had united healthcare when I got mine. I called my ins co and they told me it wasn't covered, but when the dr office called to get preauthorization it was covered...so I'd have the OBGYN check for you. Your cousin may have had her tubes tied or they do another surgery where they go in and scrape (can't remember exactly what it's called), but there generally has to be a medical problem for ins to pay for that.

Endometrial ablation is what it's called!
Vix920
by on Apr. 16, 2013 at 9:56 PM
1 mom liked this

I liked Nuvaring when I was on it. I seldom had cramps & when I did, it was mild. I usually had light, short periods. Some people say you can feel it, and you notice it for the first couple of days the first month and then that's it. If I was going to use BC again, I would go back to that.

Mom2jngnc
by on Apr. 17, 2013 at 9:18 AM

Mine is due to be removed in December and I plan on having another one put in. Actually I have to schedule my annual exam for June so I will probably just have it done then. 

Check your plan, or call teh 800#, the removal is an office exam, and should be part of your annula exam (and many ins. companies cover paps 2x per year).

As far as the IUD being covered. BC/BS billed paid for mine as an RX so I had a $25 co-pay for my office visit. That was in 2008; initally when my OB's office called the billing guru (who is now gone) said it was DME (durable medical equipment) and wanted me to pay the 20%. 

Whcih may be true for classic IUD but mirena has the hormones in it and becomes medicines.... for lack fo better wording.

Mom2jngnc
by on Apr. 17, 2013 at 9:19 AM

Quoting Dlunsford:

Quoting Dlunsford:

Endometrial ablation is what it's called!

that is usually done for medical issues...

EmilyG10
by on Apr. 17, 2013 at 9:41 AM

I have the non hormonal iud it's alright my husband felt the first few weeks i had it in but now can't It's ALOT better then the implon I had in that gave me cysts it was horrible!!

TableforSeven
by Judy on Apr. 17, 2013 at 10:42 AM

I got my second Mirena last May...after having my first one the whole 5 years.  Mirena was not covered by my insurance, so I did a payment plan directly with the company that makes it and paid my GYN the removal/insertion fees the day they did the proceedure (had the old one removed and new one instead the same day).  Honestly, I love my Mirenas so much....there was no debate as to getting another one or not.

TableforSeven
by Judy on Apr. 17, 2013 at 10:48 AM

Did your cousin have Essure done?  It is permanent birth control where they go in through the vagina and place little spring-things directly into the Fallopian tubes and then scar-tissue grows over the springs and closes-up the tubes....permanently.  It is the most non-invasive permanent birth control proceedure around....there is ZERO cutting involved (a tubal and vasectomy both involve at least some type of cutting).  I had looked into it and if DH and I would ever choose to do something permanent (which is unlikely, for many reasons) that is what we would use.

Jinxed8
by Gold Member on Apr. 17, 2013 at 10:52 AM

I have a mirena and I love it - no more "niagara falls" once a month, no pms, back ache etc - I've also had regular IUDs without the hormones they worked fine one me I just bled like a pig on them.  Being 37 now and 40 when my Mirena is donefor , I will opt for a tubal.  Although I love my mirena I'm not convinced that it's a long term solution.

Homeschoolmom10
by on Apr. 17, 2013 at 10:57 AM

I had the Mirena and at first I liked it. It would  have been 5 years November 2012, but I got pregnant summer of 2012 with it, and I am now currently due with a baby girl. I low this is very rare, but it does happen...I am proof!! I am looking for options for bc too after my baby is born. I used to take the pill (orthro tri cyclin) and loved it but didn't love having to take something daily. I would have totally stuck with the IUD if I did not get pregnant with it though. Love that it's there and you don't have to think about anything. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN