Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Guided Play versus Toddler Driven Play

Posted by on Apr. 18, 2013 at 12:21 AM
  • 1 Replies

Hello,

My daughter is 18 months and not very verbal; on recommendation of her pediatrician we had a speach therapist come visit and do an assesment.  

The speach therapist recommeneded a lot of guided play (pretty much whenever you're not cooking a meal or in the shower), which I don't know how I feel about that much guided play.  Their version of guided play is down to the adult choosing the toy we're going to play with and not letting the toddler stand up and move onto something else until the activity is complete and cleaned up.

I see how that has some merrits, but I strongly feel that kids should have a lot of autonomy as long as they are safe.  I'm trying to think of a happy medium with the speach therapists suggestions.  I can see how making her sit and do an acitvity works on following directions and she can better pick up on some language, but at the same time when her and I tried to play specific activites this afternoon she went into hysterics many times because I wasn't letting her switch activities when she wanted to.  I don't agree with this behaviour and that makes me feel like maybe the therapist is right; however she's 18 months old, shouldn't play be fun and what she wants to do?

Please share your experiences and what has worked for your families.

Thank you

by on Apr. 18, 2013 at 12:21 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-1):
e-doolittle
by Kelly on Apr. 18, 2013 at 11:13 AM

That seems alittle young to only expect guided play.  My DS needed speech therapy starting at 15 months.  We did do some play that was guided but we also let him choose.  

The best you can do is encourage her to "tell" you things during play:  Repeating words, asking open ended questions, reading books, flashcards, etc.

Don't speak for her if you know it's something she can say.   Good Luck!  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)