Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

We have TWO kids, not just one!

Posted by on Apr. 18, 2013 at 8:40 AM
  • 11 Replies

Ok I am going to first start with, my husband is a GREAT dad, he loves our girls and I know that. BUT the problem is that they are 5 years apart (10 and 5) My oldest plays softball and is great at it. She is on a competitive travel team and its just amazing to watch her play. Well my 5 year old is playing coaches pitch rec ball. She is actually 4 but will be 5 in a couple of weeks. If any of you have has experience with tee ball, you know what I mean when I say practice and games are, well chaotic. Half the time she is kicking the dirt or looking around, but she tries. Anyways, I am frustrated because I feel like my husband doesn't give my youngest as much attentiion when it comes to ball. Last night they both had practice at the same park, their practices we right next to each other. I watched my oldest for 3 minutes until the other practice started, then I watched the youngest, then I stood in the middle so I could see both. My DH only sat at my oldest and watched her. He always talks about her, at my DD5's first scrimmage, my DD10 had practice and I literally had to go get him and tell him to come watch. He says that DD5 is just in the outfield, but it doesn't matter in my opinion. We should be just as interested in DD5. Right??

by on Apr. 18, 2013 at 8:40 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Crissy2424
by Bronze Member on Apr. 18, 2013 at 8:46 AM

I would say it is obvious that when the team wins or loses it matters with the older one. Plus, they do more so the man in him likes that there is actual action going on with the older ones games. The younger ones is just something fun that they do with no one keeping score. So you can see the appeal. No excuse, but you know men lol I'd say if he is watching your older dd maybe you can watch your younger dd so that both have at least 1 parent there watching. Your kids are lucky because with me, one of my parents always had to work so I knew either 1 or none of them were going to be there. I'd say just do the best you can...if he can maybe swtich it up and have 1 at one game and 1 at the other. Good luck!

MommyAddie
by Member on Apr. 18, 2013 at 8:50 AM
1 mom liked this
I know he's more intersted in older dd because its more exciting and competitive (I played very competitive softball all growing up) but you need to remind him if he would like to see younger dd grow into the sport as well, he needs to give her the same support and attention he probably gave older dd when she started because that's what helped her become so great.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
luvmy2gurlz0405
by on Apr. 18, 2013 at 8:59 AM

Yes I agree that my olders games are more exciting, I LOVE watching her play. But she has literally been playing for a year straight. And my babygirl just started. We didnt start DD10 until she was 7. She tried dancing first. lol. IDK, I guess I just feel irritated because I feel like we spend sooo much more time and money on the oldest. Their birthdays are a week apart and even with that I feel like we do more because we just spent like $200 on new catchers equipment, ball bag etc. I don't expect to spend the exact same amount on my younger, but I think we should get more than a new bed comforter for her. His explanation is that she HAD to have it. IDK I am trying to be understanding.

CaileighsMom608
by on Apr. 18, 2013 at 1:27 PM
1 mom liked this

You should tell him that if he wants DD5 to get good then he should start trainning her now.

Marimaru
by Bronze Member on Apr. 18, 2013 at 1:40 PM

It doesn't matter that she isn't doing much.  Your youngest is going to notice (if she hasn't already) that her daddy is spending more time at the older one's games.

thecoffeefairy
by on Apr. 18, 2013 at 1:43 PM

Quoting MommyAddie:

I know he's more intersted in older dd because its more exciting and competitive (I played very competitive softball all growing up) but you need to remind him if he would like to see younger dd grow into the sport as well, he needs to give her the same support and attention he probably gave older dd when she started because that's what helped her become so great.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Jinxed8
by Gold Member on Apr. 18, 2013 at 2:47 PM

it's a tough one ... I understand that the oldest 's game is more interested to watch .. he could make a slight effort to watch some of the little one's game too

BuckeyezRule
by Bronze Member on Apr. 19, 2013 at 1:00 AM

This. :) I was 5 years older than my lil sis. I demanded attention. I was a brat child. I fully admit it. Lol I'm now closer with my sis than almost anyone. :) it took me growing up. Neither of us were/are, athletic though. Lol I know hubby is sad ds isn't. Hubby rocked baseball, basketball, football, ice hockey, and swimming. Ds does not. He's more like me. Dd is a fish. So, maybe swimming? :)

Gently remind hubby of dd5's feelings. :) 

Quoting Marimaru:

It doesn't matter that she isn't doing much.  Your youngest is going to notice (if she hasn't already) that her daddy is spending more time at the older one's games.

Laura, Mom to Lucas 8/31/03 & Isabella 9/19/04 (yes, 12 1/2 mos apart in age LOL)
KylesMom409
by Linnette on Apr. 19, 2013 at 7:57 AM
This!

Quoting MommyAddie:

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
alexsmomaubrys2
by Bronze Member on Apr. 19, 2013 at 8:00 AM

Does he show interest in the 5 year old at other times? Go to the park with her? Take her when he runs to the store?

Does your 5 year old say anything about him not being at the games?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)