Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

30 Something Moms 30 Something Moms

Do you agree or disagree? My unofficial poll!

Posted by on Apr. 23, 2013 at 2:39 AM
  • 37 Replies

Poll

Question: Do you think reading early leads to vision problems?

Options:

Yes

No

I don't know

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 60

View Results

My son's mentor teacher was concerned about his tracking.  I took him to an eye doctor who specializes in tracking problems and had him looked at.  Sure enough he has tracking problems.  But that's not the point.  The point is the eye doctor says it's because he's 5 and reading chapter books.  He taught himself to read at the age of 4 and he always has his nose in a book.

Now the glasses are doing great things for my son but this eye doctor says that kids shouldn't read, write, or play sports before the age of 8 because too much too early is leading to these problems.  I was reading the book I'm supposed to use the therapy techniquest out of for him and it says the same thing.  It says that 2.5% of infants have vision problems and 20% of 6 year olds so it must be from the books.  Idk it just seems like a stretch to me.

And no, I'm not taking away my kid's books or my son's tee ball games.  I'm just curious what your thought is on the matter.

Being a full-time mother is one of the highest salaried jobs in my field, since the payment is pure love.  ~Mildred B. Vermont
by on Apr. 23, 2013 at 2:39 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
diaperstodating
by Angel on Apr. 23, 2013 at 2:52 AM
I am not sure.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
TableforSeven
by Judy on Apr. 23, 2013 at 4:09 AM
1 mom liked this

I think you need to find a new eye doctor!

Glad to see you are treating his tracking-problem with vision therapy.  My middle daughter had lazy eye and tracking issues and I am SO THANKFUL that we had a doc who believed in vision therapy and not just "patching" the eye or throwing glasses on her as a 'solution'.

KylesMom409
by Linnette on Apr. 23, 2013 at 6:35 AM
Maybe. Kyle learned how to read about a year ago (he just turned 6) and I've noticed when he reads, he loses his place and sometimes can't remember where he left off. I don't know if it has to do with tracking the words from left to right but we did have his vision checked and the eye doctor said his vision was just fine. DH and I both wear glasses so we just wanted to make sure Kyle's eyes were okay.
AuntieMom101
by on Apr. 23, 2013 at 8:30 AM
Personally I don't really agree with the eye doctor.
alexsmomaubrys2
by Bronze Member on Apr. 23, 2013 at 8:32 AM

My kids eye doctor said that it is a cause of needing glasses early on but that they should correct themselves as they get older if they wear their glasses now.

Both my kids are readers, both have glasses.

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickersAlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

veganistic
by on Apr. 23, 2013 at 1:08 PM

mmm... second opinion... 

Pukalani79
by Kris on Apr. 23, 2013 at 1:10 PM

I had never heard of that before.  I think anything that puts a strain on our eyes - books, video games, tv, computers - affects our vision though.

almondpigeon
by on Apr. 23, 2013 at 1:38 PM

i've been reading almost constantly since i was 3 and my eyes are horrible.....that could be coincidence, though.  who knows?

JasonsMom2007
by Lisa on Apr. 23, 2013 at 1:41 PM

I would get one but I have no doubt he has tracking problems.    The glasses he prescribed have helped so much.  His reading went from 80 wpm to 130 wpm.  His eyes aren't hurting anymore.  He can go from the end of one line to the beginning of the next much easier.

Plus he was showing me how my son can't follow a point moving around in front of his eyes.  He showed me how he tilts his head down and looks up to help steady his eyes as he reads.  

So I have no doubt he's right about my son's problem I just don't agree with what he considers the cause.

Quoting veganistic:

mmm... second opinion... 

Being a full-time mother is one of the highest salaried jobs in my field, since the payment is pure love.  ~Mildred B. Vermont
JasonsMom2007
by Lisa on Apr. 23, 2013 at 1:43 PM

idk I've always been a big reader too and started at 4. My eyes are fine.

Quoting almondpigeon:

i've been reading almost constantly since i was 3 and my eyes are horrible.....that could be coincidence, though.  who knows?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN