Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

30 Something Moms 30 Something Moms

wwyd. stick together or not ? piog

Posted by on Apr. 23, 2013 at 3:28 PM
  • 8 Replies
I have two boys ages 6 and 4. If they go to a friends house to play they usually go together. But I have one neighbor who will send my four year old home and not let him play. Her son is 5. She says she doesn't have time to babysit him ....
So what are your thoughts . do I let the six yo stay or make him come home with his brother?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 23, 2013 at 3:28 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
TxMamma11
by Member on Apr. 23, 2013 at 3:56 PM
IMO I wouldn't let either boy go at that point. It just seems unfair especially since they are all within a year in age. It might hurt the 4 yo to have to stay home. Better to let the brothers play together.
aiasmom
by on Apr. 23, 2013 at 4:08 PM
That's where I'm at with it. I figure if one isn't welcome nether is the other. Yesterday when the little one came back I had him go get brother to come home too. My lovely neighbor then came to chew me out saying its not fair to her boy. Trying to get some opinions to make sure I'm not being unreasonable.
AuntieMom101
by on Apr. 23, 2013 at 4:26 PM
I personally wouldn't let either child go over. All of my 8 yr olds friends parents extend an invitation to my 4 yr old to play unless it is overnight and I do the same for multiples. Especially if I know they are attached at the hip as my youngest 2 are.
I would also be slightly concerned about her not wanting to "babysit" a 4 yr old. Does that mean she has no plans to watch the other 2? At 4 my daughter is pretty independent unless thirsty or hungry (she wouldn't get in someone's fridge or fix a sandwich).
aiasmom
by on Apr. 23, 2013 at 4:46 PM
I was kinda pissed when she said babysit. He's just there to play. He's very easy going.

Quoting AuntieMom101:

I personally wouldn't let either child go over. All of my 8 yr olds friends parents extend an invitation to my 4 yr old to play unless it is overnight and I do the same for multiples. Especially if I know they are attached at the hip as my youngest 2 are.

I would also be slightly concerned about her not wanting to "babysit" a 4 yr old. Does that mean she has no plans to watch the other 2? At 4 my daughter is pretty independent unless thirsty or hungry (she wouldn't get in someone's fridge or fix a sandwich).

annelauer
by on Apr. 23, 2013 at 5:04 PM

It might cause resentment with the older one if it is the "fault" of the younger one that he can't go.  It is good for them to play apart sometimes.  If your four year old is not welcome there and you want them to all play together, have them over to your house.  There is likely more to the story than you know.  If it were not difficult for your neighbor to host your younger guy, she wouldn't likely send him home.  I don't think it's fair at all to penalize your six year old if he wants to play though.

Jadegirl1819
by Bronze Member on Apr. 23, 2013 at 5:10 PM

Personally, I don't think the 4 year old needs to be there just because his big brother is.  People shouldn't have to invite both of the boys over.  They aren't their kids to be babysitting.  That being said, I wouldn't let either play over there if the woman actually came out and chewed me out.  That doesn't fly with me.

Quoting aiasmom:

That's where I'm at with it. I figure if one isn't welcome nether is the other. Yesterday when the little one came back I had him go get brother to come home too. My lovely neighbor then came to chew me out saying its not fair to her boy. Trying to get some opinions to make sure I'm not being unreasonable.

aj23
by Silver Member on Apr. 23, 2013 at 5:11 PM
I wouldn't let either go. Not because I think they should play together but because if she's too busy to 'babysit' the youngest then she's probably not keeping an eye on any of them.
Maybe the 5 year old can come to your house to play.
aiasmom
by on Apr. 23, 2013 at 5:18 PM
That's what I told her when she came over. Her kids are welcome anytime. Usually her son will come here to play and after 5 he will say let's go to my house. I guess that's why I think its unfair for the lo because he is already actively playing with them then told no.

Quoting aj23:

I wouldn't let either go. Not because I think they should play together but because if she's too busy to 'babysit' the youngest then she's probably not keeping an eye on any of them.

Maybe the 5 year old can come to your house to play.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)