Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

30 Something Moms 30 Something Moms

school stressing our kids out?

Posted by on Apr. 23, 2013 at 10:08 PM
  • 11 Replies
First my dd is in first grade and i find she is doing work that i wasnt doing til i was in 3 rd grade. Granted they are doing more and standards are higher but are they too high? For first grade they need to tell time, skip count, count money, do timed tests. Read of course but also speed read do sight words have timed tests on reading but able to.comprend what they read too. Homework is handwriting practice speed reading spelling words any math worksheets and reading for 30 mins a week. My dd goes.to.afterschool program that does the homework there. That goes til 530 my dd gets out at 3 so after snack and a small recess they start working at 330. There are alots of time i come in at 5 and dd is still doing work. If she comes home after school we can sit for an hour or.more doing work. This is way too much for a first grader.

My dd is stressed out she doesnt like school anymore and doesnt even want to talk about her day. No wonder kids are committing suicide. Im afraid by the time dd is in 5 th grade she isnt going to give a shit anymore and will be completely depressed and stress all because of.school pushing too much too hard. Im really worried about this. I talked to the teacher and she said theres not much she can do its what the state requires and she has to get her prepared for some test in 3 rd grade. She is upset about it too but her hands are tied. What can i do? Is this normal? My dd makes.good.grades but is stressed out.
by on Apr. 23, 2013 at 10:08 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lkane81
by Member on Apr. 23, 2013 at 10:38 PM
Bump
KylesMom409
by Linnette on Apr. 23, 2013 at 10:44 PM
I really think school is stressing kids out these days, unfortunately. If it isn't the big amount of homework and all they're expected to learn, it's the standardized tests. My son loves school, he's almost done with kindergarten, and I'm crossing my fingers that he loves school for as long as possible. But in all honesty I wouldn't be surprised if he too started getting stressed out and stopped liking school. Kids are under so much pressure these days.
lkane81
by Member on Apr. 23, 2013 at 10:54 PM
It scares the crap out of me. Dd used to love school i couldnt get her out the door fast enough but now its harder an harder to get her out the door.
How are we as parents suppose to fight against drugs peer pressure depression and suicide if its the school is the driving force? Theres not much more i can do to help her and i barely get to see dd now. Ive thought of taking her out of the after school program but even then its still an hour and half at the tablr doing homework. I think in sometime this week she is going to come home and we are going to do the homework. Maybe it might help...

Quoting KylesMom409:

I really think school is stressing kids out these days, unfortunately. If it isn't the big amount of homework and all they're expected to learn, it's the standardized tests. My son loves school, he's almost done with kindergarten, and I'm crossing my fingers that he loves school for as long as possible. But in all honesty I wouldn't be surprised if he too started getting stressed out and stopped liking school. Kids are under so much pressure these days.

KylesMom409
by Linnette on Apr. 23, 2013 at 10:59 PM
I know. I wish there was something more we could do as parents to help them.
diaperstodating
by Angel on Apr. 23, 2013 at 11:04 PM
Bump
AuntieMom101
by on Apr. 24, 2013 at 11:15 AM
I have so many issues with our educational system right now that it would take a while to type them all out :(
My 2nd grader puts a lot of pressure on himself to get everything perfect (he has 4 older siblings who always bring home good grades) but he gets so flustered because they spend 3/4 of the year reviewing from last year and he isn't learning anything new. He says when they learn something new they don't give enough time to get it down pat. He hasn't had homework since December except for spelling words.
Oops I rambled a little more than planned :/
teachermom9598
by on Apr. 24, 2013 at 11:51 AM

You have to understand that the state puts the curricullum in place for the schools...the teachers have to teach what the state says and how the state says...

OneAllergicMama
by on Apr. 24, 2013 at 11:58 AM

DS1 is perfect in the school system - top of the class with little effort, enjoys his single day of gifted, craves the organization.

DS2 is repeating Kindy and is thought to have ADHD because he has to be herded to do his work.  Mind you he went from not reading at all last year to reading chapter books and dictionaries over the summer (on his own - very typical, he learns on his own pace and when he gets it, it's gangbusters).  No one even wants to consider he might be bored... 

Planning to homeschool him next year.  DH would like me to homeschool DS1 but I don't want to take away a kid from the school system who loves and thrives in it (even if the allergy crap drives me bonkers). 

DD - She is learning to read on her own (FTR, I never push this on my kids because I was an early reader and suffered for it), she will be 3 next week.  I can envision homeschooling her as well *if she makes it to her fifth birthday alive* <evil grin>

Pukalani79
by Kris on Apr. 24, 2013 at 12:30 PM

That is so much work! Is this extra work or is she not getting it done during the school day? Poor thing

Jinxed8
by Gold Member on Apr. 24, 2013 at 1:56 PM

I'm not a fan of school either - they held my DD in grade one because she struggled with reading.  But then when she went through grade 1 the second time she was honor roll and bored to death.  I had her tested and she came out 95% above average intelligence but dyslexic. Brilliant teachers !!!!!!!  Now she's in grade 2 and 9 years old, stuck with 7 and 8 year olds - she's figured out how to fake her reading and writting through photographic memory.  DD at home and DD at school is 2 different persons. Her teacher tells me she lacks concentration yet at home we plow thorugh homework in 10 minutes.    I believe 100% school is stressing the hell out of her.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)