Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

30 Something Moms 30 Something Moms

Hate inlaws inteference

Posted by on Apr. 23, 2013 at 11:49 PM
  • 18 Replies

My husbands parents and sister are h obsessive about my 3 year old daughter. It makes me uncomfortable several times.  When they come and spend time with us they try to control her by giving too many gifts and attract her towards them. My mil and sil are trying to interfere a lot in our lifes. Especially with my daughter and it kind of bother me. I want to deal with them calmly dont know how.

thanks 

Darshana

by on Apr. 23, 2013 at 11:49 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jthompson1976
by on Apr. 24, 2013 at 12:05 AM

aww they must love her...  that good they have a close relationship..why does this bother you... i think most grand parents are like that aren't they?  if bother that much i would just talk to your husband let him deal with it that dont work speack up you have the write you are the mother.. i would calimly talk to them tell them that makes you uncomfortable for them to buy so many gifts

JasonsMom2007
by Lisa on Apr. 24, 2013 at 12:08 AM
:( my mil tries to give my son all sorts of diagnosis. I'd rather have them bring gifts and love! Idk what to say. I'd love for my in-laws to spoil them.
BuckeyezRule
by Bronze Member on Apr. 24, 2013 at 12:42 AM

Same as pp, I wish my own parents and il's spoiled my kids. Lol my mom is CHEAP, but always able to help us if needed. :) mil is in a hard financial spot. As is fil.

I do admit I'm lucky my parents and il's ask about rules, as ours are way different from my il sibs. I don't smother mine. I don't put mine in a bubble like they do their Tweens. I guess where we now live isn't like theirs. Lol

Darshana04
by on Apr. 24, 2013 at 12:43 AM

Thanks for your reply.  I also felt that they love her and i have been brought up with loving grandparents.  But with my mil she has been very political. If i leave my daughter with her and go for dinner with my husband....she feels very uncomfortable taking care of my daughter. I am 5 years in my marriage, her controlling behaviour has really annoyed us a lot. 

BuckeyezRule
by Bronze Member on Apr. 24, 2013 at 12:51 AM

Ahhh, that can be annoying. Maybe wait a bit for her to grandparent her granddaughter? :) my mom is a better parent than I am. Lol when she grandparented mine while I worked, she did all sorts of things with them. They didn't watch any tv at all until we moved 1700 miles from them, when they were 2 and 3. Lol 

Maybe if it's hubby and his mom, suggest to hubby he take control of parenting dd. it's a learning process, hit and miss. :)

Quoting Darshana04:

Thanks for your reply.  I also felt that they love her and i have been brought up with loving grandparents.  But with my mil she has been very political. If i leave my daughter with her and go for dinner with my husband....she feels very uncomfortable taking care of my daughter. I am 5 years in my marriage, her controlling behaviour has really annoyed us a lot. 

countrymomma81
by Platinum Member on Apr. 24, 2013 at 12:55 AM

My FIL passed away in January but although he did a lot of talking about how much he loved my kids there wasn't much done to show it. He seemed to prefer my BIL's kids. 

As for MIL (they are divorced) she is not at all loving and caring. She tries to parent them no matter how much DH and I ask her not to. She's sharp with them and has little to no patience. I don't really like the kids to be around her, especially without DH and I there. 

Moof4boys
by on Apr. 24, 2013 at 4:12 AM
It can go either way hey, I would be upset if they didn't pay attention. Having four DS all grandparents are over us lol
diaperstodating
by Angel on Apr. 24, 2013 at 9:40 AM

I have the same problem with my mother-in-law and two sister-in-laws.

Jinxed8
by Gold Member on Apr. 24, 2013 at 9:55 AM

that is super annoying ... my Ex-MIL is like that,  always buying her affection and giving her 2 cents when I didn't give a crap.  Now that I have no control when/how she sees my daughter it's worst because she trash talks about me in front of DD and turning her into a hypocondriac.  My mother is super involved she is a great grand-ma on every level sometimes she is TOO concerned about DD.  My MIL is great too although she lives far away so she don't get to see DD but once a year but she's always asking about her, her school, her well being.

Pukalani79
by Kris on Apr. 24, 2013 at 12:35 PM

How is she controlling?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)