Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

30 Something Moms 30 Something Moms

I know my kid is "labeled" but I would NEVER do this to him!

Posted by on Apr. 24, 2013 at 1:18 PM
  • 28 Replies
1 mom liked this

To me this just takes labeling too far...

Yeah because everybody who sees my kid needs to know his label?  Well, at least one of them.  And he needs that constant reminder that he is different?  No thank you!   He doesn't even like me to do his joint compressions in public because he's afraid someone will see.  But I'm really good at doing them in a way nobody notices a thing now.

Then there's these...

they are cards to hand out to strangers when your kid is having a meltdown.  I'm sorry but when mine is having a meltdown explaining to strangers is the last thing on my mind!  And they don't need to know WHY he's melting down.  What they think is their issue.

I guess to me THIS is labeling your child.  Putting it on their shirt and on cards for the whole world to see that they have sensory processing disorder.  Most who know my son know about his but I'm not throwing it out there for say a stranger in wal-mart to know about just because they might think I'm a bad parent.

What do you think about this?

Being a full-time mother is one of the highest salaried jobs in my field, since the payment is pure love.  ~Mildred B. Vermont
by on Apr. 24, 2013 at 1:18 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Jinxed8
by Gold Member on Apr. 24, 2013 at 2:22 PM

up to you ... my daughter is dyslexic and I tell people all the time it's not something to be ashamed of.  Call it labeling or not it is what it is.  My daughter does not process words on a paper like a normal person.  Everything that requires reading for her is a task including reading a story or reading instructions for a math problem, trying to make a recipe. 

Same thing with your son whether you like it or not he is not 100% normal - you don't have to explain to total strangers what it is either if you see people starring or whatever just say "please give him room / please don't stare  he has a condition"

KRIZZ25
by Bronze Member on Apr. 24, 2013 at 2:23 PM
what is spd??
Jinxed8
by Gold Member on Apr. 24, 2013 at 2:36 PM

sensory processing disorder

http://www.spdfoundation.net/about-sensory-processing-disorder.html

Quoting KRIZZ25:

what is spd??

JasonsMom2007
by Lisa on Apr. 24, 2013 at 2:47 PM

We aren't ashamed of it but we don't advertise it either.  It's part of who he is and we aren't hiding it and pretending like it's not there but I also don't see the need to label him quite literally on his shirt.

Quoting Jinxed8:

up to you ... my daughter is dyslexic and I tell people all the time it's not something to be ashamed of.  Call it labeling or not it is what it is.  My daughter does not process words on a paper like a normal person.  Everything that requires reading for her is a task including reading a story or reading instructions for a math problem, trying to make a recipe. 

Same thing with your son whether you like it or not he is not 100% normal - you don't have to explain to total strangers what it is either if you see people starring or whatever just say "please give him room / please don't stare  he has a condition"

Being a full-time mother is one of the highest salaried jobs in my field, since the payment is pure love.  ~Mildred B. Vermont
AuntieMom101
by on Apr. 24, 2013 at 4:08 PM
I see where you are coming from with the labeling. But I can also see why the cards (I don't really care for the shirts so much). If your DS has a meltdown in the middle of the grocery store and a bunch of strangers see you trying to drag your child to a quieter area while he is kicking and screaming and these strangers decide that looks abusive those cards could keep you from being hassled by police or CPS. Or it is possible the cards may keep you from being attacked by some fanatical woman who thinks you are maybe kidnapping.
Of course when your child is having a meltdown and you are trying to calm him down who is gonna remember that those cards are in your purse????
Jinxed8
by Gold Member on Apr. 24, 2013 at 4:27 PM
1 mom liked this

The shirts are a little bit overkill.  Just like I wouldn't buy a t-shirt for my DD stating that she is dyslexic

Quoting JasonsMom2007:

We aren't ashamed of it but we don't advertise it either.  It's part of who he is and we aren't hiding it and pretending like it's not there but I also don't see the need to label him quite literally on his shirt.

Quoting Jinxed8:

JasonsMom2007
by Lisa on Apr. 24, 2013 at 4:32 PM

Exactly!  Oh, hold on stranger, let me leave my child who is having a meltdown while I dig around in my purse to hand you a card.  Yeah, that's going to happen!

Quoting AuntieMom101:

I see where you are coming from with the labeling. But I can also see why the cards (I don't really care for the shirts so much). If your DS has a meltdown in the middle of the grocery store and a bunch of strangers see you trying to drag your child to a quieter area while he is kicking and screaming and these strangers decide that looks abusive those cards could keep you from being hassled by police or CPS. Or it is possible the cards may keep you from being attacked by some fanatical woman who thinks you are maybe kidnapping.
Of course when your child is having a meltdown and you are trying to calm him down who is gonna remember that those cards are in your purse????

AuntieMom101
by on Apr. 24, 2013 at 4:37 PM
Quoting JasonsMom2007:

Yeah I'm thinking DS won't really appreciate you trying to interrupt his meltdown for a card either lol. (Not making fun of him or his situation at all but it did strike me a little funny when I pictured it in my head)
KRIZZ25
by Bronze Member on Apr. 24, 2013 at 4:57 PM
well if i didn't know lot ppl dont know.. i wouldn't tell strangers.keep it on a need to know bases.
JasonsMom2007
by Lisa on Apr. 24, 2013 at 4:59 PM

Oh don't worry I find that thought humorous as well :)  And I don't think anybody within hitting/kicking/throwing distance would appreciate it either!  

Quoting AuntieMom101:

Quoting JasonsMom2007:

Yeah I'm thinking DS won't really appreciate you trying to interrupt his meltdown for a card either lol. (Not making fun of him or his situation at all but it did strike me a little funny when I pictured it in my head)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)