Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

30 Something Moms 30 Something Moms

I know my kid is "labeled" but I would NEVER do this to him!

Posted by   + Show Post

To me this just takes labeling too far...

Yeah because everybody who sees my kid needs to know his label?  Well, at least one of them.  And he needs that constant reminder that he is different?  No thank you!   He doesn't even like me to do his joint compressions in public because he's afraid someone will see.  But I'm really good at doing them in a way nobody notices a thing now.

Then there's these...

they are cards to hand out to strangers when your kid is having a meltdown.  I'm sorry but when mine is having a meltdown explaining to strangers is the last thing on my mind!  And they don't need to know WHY he's melting down.  What they think is their issue.

I guess to me THIS is labeling your child.  Putting it on their shirt and on cards for the whole world to see that they have sensory processing disorder.  Most who know my son know about his but I'm not throwing it out there for say a stranger in wal-mart to know about just because they might think I'm a bad parent.

What do you think about this?

Being a full-time mother is one of the highest salaried jobs in my field, since the payment is pure love.  ~Mildred B. Vermont
by on Apr. 24, 2013 at 1:18 PM
Replies (21-28):
joyfulmom30
by Member on Apr. 24, 2013 at 9:30 PM

I think you're right. You don't need to explain a complete stranger why your child is fussing. It doesn't make you a bad parent when your child is having a meltdown. Now if you react the wrong way to the meltdown, that is wrong.

JasonsMom2007
by Lisa on Apr. 24, 2013 at 11:15 PM
Yes that's just it. Why point out the negative to the whole world?

Quoting Knightquester:

I grew up around a lot of people with disabilities, and the last thing in my family anybody appreciated were labels.

Maybe times are changing, but had my brothers would have been mortified walking around with a t-shirt pointing out their disabilities.  They have far better qualities I'm sure they'd rather have pointed out.

I think my eldest brother would have hated my mother had she handed a card to strangers explaining why he was not acting within the social norm.  It would, I'm sure, seem like he were such an embarrassment to her that she felt the need to explain to strangers.  A parents love really does know no bounds, and part of that is that we have to cope and accept the good moments our children create for us, along with the bad ones without making our children feel inadequate.

The disabilities a person has isn't who they are, it's only a part of who they are just like all those other wonderful qualities they have.  Nobody should have to explain who they are to the world in order to feel loved, appreciated, or accepted.

MrsImperfect
by Bronze Member on Apr. 24, 2013 at 11:19 PM
I tell people whats wrong with my son. When I see them with looks on their faces like wtf is wrong with him. But a shirt would hurt his feelings. Never would do that.
rebeccasmly
by on Apr. 24, 2013 at 11:29 PM
My oldest is mildly dyslexic and ADHD. My youngest is severely dyslexic and has mild sensory issues. I would never advertise it like that. Society judges quick enough and even faster if there's a disorder. I have heard more times than I can count how my children are struggling in school. No they're not. Some days are better than others but they both do well. My oldest has worked hard to get to where he is. My youngest is working hard and has made huge progress in just the past year. That stigma is attached though and I hate it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
baileymarie723
by Bronze Member on Apr. 25, 2013 at 11:17 AM
1 mom liked this
My daughter has ADHD, and I agree with you. Granted most of the behavior a child with SPD or ADHD, etc is caused by their disorder but not only is handing out cards or having them wear shirts telling people what is wrong with them labeling them, but to me it almost seems like the parents are making an excuse for the behavior right up front. I don't like to use my daughter's ADHD as an excuse when she has bad behavior, yes it is a big part but everytime she misbehaves it isn't the ADHD it's her being a kid. I am able to determine whether it is her ADHD causing the problem, or if she is just misbehaving, so I can discipline based off what I am seeing.
Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
JasonsMom2007
by Lisa on Apr. 25, 2013 at 3:21 PM

Yes my son would so use it as an excuse if he had a shirt that basically says it is one.

Quoting baileymarie723:

My daughter has ADHD, and I agree with you. Granted most of the behavior a child with SPD or ADHD, etc is caused by their disorder but not only is handing out cards or having them wear shirts telling people what is wrong with them labeling them, but to me it almost seems like the parents are making an excuse for the behavior right up front. I don't like to use my daughter's ADHD as an excuse when she has bad behavior, yes it is a big part but everytime she misbehaves it isn't the ADHD it's her being a kid. I am able to determine whether it is her ADHD causing the problem, or if she is just misbehaving, so I can discipline based off what I am seeing.

Being a full-time mother is one of the highest salaried jobs in my field, since the payment is pure love.  ~Mildred B. Vermont
Armygirl2299703
by on Apr. 26, 2013 at 4:34 AM

I fully agree with you.

SunnyDayz-Ahead
by Member on Apr. 26, 2013 at 9:28 AM
The last thing I would or could do was hand a card to a stranger to explain something personal about my kid. If my kid had a melt down I would rather spend the time helping/dealing with it than worrying about someone elses stares, thoughts or their comfort level. I don't really care for the shirts either.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)