Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

30 Something Moms 30 Something Moms

Talking about money with friends

Posted by on Apr. 25, 2013 at 8:13 AM
  • 30 Replies

My husband changes his job with his company a fair bit. Without fail each job change at least 2 of our friends will ask "What does it pay?"
I cringe when I hear this.
I try to skip over the question....I just think that telling someone what your income is will be judged. I find asking really rude.
What are your thoughts? 
Do you talk about what your income is?
Do you talk to your friends about past or current money issues in detail?

by on Apr. 25, 2013 at 8:13 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
luvhugz08
by on Apr. 25, 2013 at 8:23 AM

no thats my in laws job...thats normally first thing his mother asked!!! 

MommyAddie
by Member on Apr. 25, 2013 at 8:29 AM
It's beyond rude for someone to ask that. When I was married to my first husband, I'd get so mad at him because he would tell his friends flat out, "I took that new position, it pays ........." I was so embarrassed, because people weren't even asking. He thought he should just blurt it out and make everyone uncomfortable. He's very socially awkward.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AmesCSki
by Bronze Member on Apr. 25, 2013 at 8:36 AM
I don't typically talk to anyone about money except my DH. Recently I had to give some very vague details about money to get a friend off my back about why we couldn't attend her wedding in the Virgin Islands this summer.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
crysiann
by Member on Apr. 25, 2013 at 9:10 AM
1 mom liked this

I completely agree with OP. If my husband and I are asked this, we will just say something like, we make enough. It is really nobody's business and I like to keep money private.

kyledavidsmom
by Tara on Apr. 25, 2013 at 10:59 AM

We don't talk to people about how much we make.

Marz31
by Silver Member on Apr. 25, 2013 at 11:16 AM

we don't talk about it, for my inlaws, I mean, maybe he tells his parents what he makes, but I'm not even sure of that. I've discussed my salary with my parents before, and I think I mentioned my husbands when he recently was held-onto instead of laid off and how excited we were that he wasn't going to have to job hunt again, but I know my parents won't hold our salaries against us in any way, and I'm not so sure about my ILs. But yeah, I don't talk about that with friends, I don't really want to know what they make, I have guesses, but it's just not that important and might make me jealous or something, no worth it at ALL!

Marz31
by Silver Member on Apr. 25, 2013 at 11:19 AM

I should add, when my husband transitioned into his new job, since he had been promised a retention bonus to stay until the end, he was able to split that into half bonus and half into his salary, but I don't think I ever mention how much the bonus was originally for, it was a nice boost to his salary which will carry forward year to year, which is really nice.

honeydewmommy
by on Apr. 25, 2013 at 11:21 AM
1 mom liked this

I do not talk about money and income with my friends, I really find it inappropriate, 

mamaslilpunkin
by Bronze Member on Apr. 25, 2013 at 11:24 AM

It is rude to ask someone how much money they make.I have had ppl ask how much money we make and I say "we do alright,we don't go without".And if the issue is pressed,I have flat out said "I don't discuss my finances with anyone but my husband.Sorry!"

notabosley
by on Apr. 25, 2013 at 11:38 AM
1 mom liked this
How much income my family brings in our household is my business and SO'S only. I think it's strange and rude to ask anyone that information.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN