Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

30 Something Moms 30 Something Moms

Doing it myself and I need help figuring it out!

Posted by on Apr. 25, 2013 at 6:54 PM
  • 5 Replies

I took Jason to a local tutor today.  Not for academics but because she also handles sensory processing and I don't feel my son's OT is being very helpful.

So she did an overall evaluation on him and she sees exactly what I've been seeing and saying but nobody has been listening.  He has upper level skills but not lower level skills.  He can write in print or cursive but he cannot color in the lines and has a hard time drawing.  Overall his fine motor skills are lacking.  His visual memory is terrible just like I see.  He could draw one shape from memory but couldn't manage to draw two shapes from memory or draw a diamond at all.  He can write his letters the right way but has a hard time identifying which are backwards when given a paper with some forward and backwards.  He can't catch a ball.  His auditory discrimination of sounds is low although overall he learns well auditory wise he just can't pick out individual sounds.  He is just so smart he figures out the words from what he is hearing.  And he has visual processing and tracking problems which I already knew.

Like me she was shocked that he's testing at 3rd grade level (which she tested him at as well) with all of this going on.  It's a bit odd.  Once again he doesn't fit in a box.  

She knows how to help him but it's $200/month that I simply cannot pay for.

My goal this summer is to work on all of this stuff and fill in these gaps.

Here's my list of activities so far...

Fine Motor: how to draw books, legos, coloring pages

visual: the program the eye doctor gave me to follow.  It should work on his visual perception, tracking, and visual memory

gross motor: this could be tricky because I've been trying to work on this with him since he was pretty young.  He's in tee ball and has been for 2 seasons now.  That has helped but he still can't catch a ball.  We've been working on that daily for months now.  His upper body strength is low and we've been lifting weights, doing animal walks, the wheelbarrel, etc to work on that but it doesn't seem to be helping a ton.

Any other ideas for me?

Being a full-time mother is one of the highest salaried jobs in my field, since the payment is pure love.  ~Mildred B. Vermont
by on Apr. 25, 2013 at 6:54 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
LuLuRex
by Bronze Member on Apr. 26, 2013 at 4:13 PM

I'm not really sure but here's a bump for other moms to see.

countrymomma81
by Platinum Member on Apr. 26, 2013 at 5:27 PM

You are already doing more than I would know how to do so obviously I have no ideas for you. 

Good luck though, and I'm happy that for once someone is listening to you. 

AuntieMom101
by on Apr. 26, 2013 at 10:17 PM
Glad that you finally found someone who can help your DS!!!
Here is a bump for your son! :)
mumsy2three
by Shauna on Apr. 27, 2013 at 7:26 AM

The Out of Sync Child Has Fun by Carol Stock Kranowitz has lots of activities for those with spd. 

darbyakeep45
by on Apr. 27, 2013 at 8:08 PM

Hugs mama!  You are doing awesome:)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN