Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

30 Something Moms 30 Something Moms

For moms with cats!

Posted by on Apr. 25, 2013 at 10:38 PM
  • 40 Replies

Where do you keep your cats litter box? I just adopted a 2 month old kitten for my kids and am trying to get things together for him before he comes home tomorrow. When you got your cat, did you keep him/her in 1 room for a week or 2 or did you let him/her roam freely from the start? Any tips for a new cat owner are much appreciated by the way :)

Thanks!

cat

BabyFetus Ticker

by on Apr. 25, 2013 at 10:38 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SRB212
by on Apr. 25, 2013 at 11:00 PM
We keep ours in the guest room. I let them roam. Get it fixed ASAP!! Mine aren't declawed but I have had them for 5+ years so way before I had a baby. I wish my female was declawed now.
nodramamama311
by on Apr. 25, 2013 at 11:05 PM
After a few months we couldn't stand the smell anymore. Our cat is an indoor/outdoor cat. We out his litter box outside one day, showed him where it was and from that day on somehow he just knew he was to go outside now. He's welcome in the house whenever he wants, he sleeps in our bed but always uses the restroom outside. I love it!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TableforSeven
by Judy on Apr. 25, 2013 at 11:06 PM
1 mom liked this

Where we kept the litter boxes depended on where we were living at the time.  In a small apartment, we kept it in a hidden corner of the living room (that was certainly incentive to keep it clean at all times!!).  In two houses that had basements, it was in the basement.  In our current house we have a staircase in a U shape that is open underneath - we keep it under there.

The size of your home and the age of the kitty can be used to help you decide how to introduce it to your house and family.  If we had no other cat when bringing home anew kitty, we let it have run of the house pretty much from the start.  Though we did lock kitty in a room (with food, water, and litter - of course) for the night time for a few days.

One suggestion.  When you bring the cat home.  Take it directly to the litter-pan.  The first 'ground' it should touch in its new home is the litter and let it explore from there.  That way it will know where the pan is (you don't want to play hide-and-seek with the litter).

mjimaging
by Melissa on Apr. 25, 2013 at 11:12 PM
Our boxes have either been in a spare bathroom, basement or corner of the living room. when we get a house, we may move the boxes to the garage. We have three cats. Used to have five. I look forward to none at this point. Ours are not declawed either and they stay indoors.
TableforSeven
by Judy on Apr. 25, 2013 at 11:38 PM

Oh, I see other replies about declawing or not.  We have never declawed any of our cats....and they have all been indoor only kitties.  We don't want them to be helpless if they were ever to get out.  We have nev had problems with them clawing things....it just takes a little training with some cats - and scratching posts work well.

Nerys-Kianna
by Member on Apr. 25, 2013 at 11:45 PM

We keep ours in the 3rd full bathroom we have. Scooping litter daily, so it doesn't stink. She's allowed to raom freelt since the day I adopted her.

AllofFive19
by Bronze Member on Apr. 25, 2013 at 11:52 PM

I let both of them roam freely from the start. I have a room for the litter box now, but I kept it in the basement on the floor before then. If you don't have a basement, you might try the bathroom, that 's where some pelople keep it. 

I agree with getting them fixed asap. I don't declaw though and both are indoors. 

KW1280
by on Apr. 25, 2013 at 11:53 PM
We keep the litter box in the laundry room. We use tidy cats multiple for one cat. We have no odor. My cat is too lazy to roam lol. I agree w/ table of seven about declawing. Apple got out and she defended herself oh and she is microchipped. If your kids are old enough let them help you care for the kittens.
KW1280
by on Apr. 25, 2013 at 11:55 PM
I forgot to add get them fixed

Quoting AllofFive19:

I let both of them roam freely from the start. I have a room for the litter box now, but I kept it in the basement on the floor before then. If you don't have a basement, you might try the bathroom, that 's where some pelople keep it. 

I agree with getting them fixed asap. I don't declaw though and both are indoors. 

BuckeyezRule
by Bronze Member on Apr. 26, 2013 at 12:27 AM

YES!!!!!!! We have 2 ancient indoor only cats. They have literally only been outside going to and from the vet, when we moved cross country. We fixed ours as soon as was safe. :) we have 15 yo, calico, girl, Puddykins. And, will be 16 in June, black cat, Kiki. Kiki is like 'kitty kitty' and Puddykins, a friend dared me to name the cat Puddy after her cat, so I did Puddykins. Lol I was younger than. :)

Unfortunately, we are forced to keep the litter boxes in the spare bathroom upstairs. It sucks, but I love them. They have to be carried downstairs now. So, litterbox in the basement, not an option anymore. :(

I adore my cats. One or the other sleep between hubby and my pillows each night. The other might be on the other side of the pillow. They love to cuddle with me, still. Lol

Quoting KW1280:

I forgot to add get them fixed

Quoting AllofFive19:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN