Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

30 Something Moms 30 Something Moms

Any moms out there over 30 and in college?

Posted by on Apr. 28, 2013 at 8:57 PM
  • 55 Replies

How's it going? 

Edited to Add: Are any of you going to a brick-and-mortar school, or are you going online?

I do a little of both. My school (NJIT) does have an actual campus, but the course that are a little easier, I take those online. The tougher ones I take on campus. 

What is your major? Is it something you always wanted to do, or is because it's a secure field in terms of employment?

Mine is computer engineering. I always, always had a strong sense of curiousity, and I've always enjoyed building and fixing things; it could be anything. Most of my working career I was a mortgage closer and processor. I was miserable! I had to stop working after the birth of my son, so I figured it was the best time to nail down the degree I always wanted in the field that interested me the most. I did want to go into nursing, but I'm not the best at emoting, and relating to people on an emotional level is an important part of the job. I think I would make people miserable! 

Do you find learning any more difficult this time around than when you were younger? 

I actually find it's easier. Without having the teenage angst clouding my mind, I find that I can grasp things a bit more quickly. I do have a family, but most of that is time management; it really doesn't affect my ability to learn.

by on Apr. 28, 2013 at 8:57 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
conniejo75
by Bronze Member on Apr. 28, 2013 at 9:00 PM
1 mom liked this
Yes. Single mom, work full time and go to school full time. It takes a lot of time management but I know it will be worth it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
hanniwrencher
by on Apr. 28, 2013 at 9:28 PM
2 moms liked this

yeah. i'm 38, and working on my b of a degree in photography... not easy, but, i'm working on it... though at this rate, i'm betting my youngest (who is 3) will be graduating high school at the same time i graduate with my degree...

but, i'm 'pluggin' away at it...

conniejo75
by Bronze Member on Apr. 28, 2013 at 9:29 PM
I am 38 too :)

Quoting hanniwrencher:

yeah. i'm 38, and working on my b of a degree in photography... not easy, but, i'm working on it... though at this rate, i'm betting my youngest (who is 3) will be graduating high school at the same time i graduate with my degree...

but, i'm 'pluggin' away at it...

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
reneer1
by on Apr. 28, 2013 at 10:52 PM
1 mom liked this
Weird, I'm 38 as well. Its going very slowly, lol. Working on a bs in criminal justice.
MakeAJOYfulNoiz
by on Apr. 28, 2013 at 11:31 PM

Gosh, I'm 36, and this is rough! Anyone almost done? 

I'm majoring in computer engineering, and I wish I would have done it when I was younger and had the time. It's nearing the end of the semester, and I have a lot of projects due. Sometimes I wish I could vent to someone who have similar things (family, kids, pets, work, etc.) to deal with. Thankfully, I managed to get them all done. 

One thing I can say, it's definitely easier mentally and emotionally (because you have to be in an emotional "place" to get through courses) than it was when I was younger. I certainly have a different level of respect for higher education and for those with a secondary education.  

Saydar
by on Apr. 29, 2013 at 12:06 PM

It's rough. I'm starting to question my commitment to getting this degree. I worry that it takes too much time away from time with my son. I think (hope) it will be worth it and I think it will set a good example for him but I hope he doesn't grow up resenting the time that I didn't spend with him.

Scorpiomom78
by on Apr. 29, 2013 at 12:10 PM

I will be starting in August at 34 and this is just a start I hope. I am going for Phlebotomy and when I am done with that I would like to go for CMA or Nursing hopefully. I took this first to kind of get me back into the swing of going back to school! Lol :)

Ali5683
by on Apr. 29, 2013 at 12:14 PM

Not yet but I plan to be. I want to do something but haven't quite figured out where and how to pay for it. It's so much more expensive now that it was 10 years ago. I also wonder how it looks for a 30 year old starting a degree that will take about 6 - 8 years to complete. I want to be an architect.

carakitty
by Bronze Member on Apr. 29, 2013 at 12:41 PM

I'm about to go back, again, but I don't know when my classes will actually start. I might need to get on a waiting list for my program. I have another meeting with the school on the 14th and am really looking forward to it. I am getting to the point where I just want to be DONE with school already, have my certification, and start working in a practice and making some money to show for all the non-paid work I've been doing!

MakeAJOYfulNoiz
by on Apr. 29, 2013 at 1:36 PM
3 moms liked this

Don't you worry one bit how it will look! 

Listen, you're going to get older anyway, right? Why not accomplish your goals while you're getting there? When I first started, I thought the same thing, 'How will I look, pushing 40, starting a career as an engineer?' Living a life wondering 'what if' is a lot worse if you ask me. My friend's mother became a doctor at 50. 

We are no different than any 20 something starting out. Look at it this way, we already have our children (for the most part) and our lives are pretty much set. I mean, who goes back to college unless they really want a career in that field? 

Not everyone hits their stride in their 20's. 

Quoting Ali5683:

Not yet but I plan to be. I want to do something but haven't quite figured out where and how to pay for it. It's so much more expensive now that it was 10 years ago. I also wonder how it looks for a 30 year old starting a degree that will take about 6 - 8 years to complete. I want to be an architect.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN