Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

fashion confusion....help me please! I'm so lost and tired of looking frumpy...

Posted by on Apr. 28, 2013 at 11:35 PM
  • 30 Replies

Anyone else feel they lost a feel for what looks good on you anymore. I used to know what I liked and what looked good on me. Since having kids though, my body has changed and I am so lost. I still love the younger styles of say teenagers and twenty somethings but I am 39,lol. I hate clothes they make for older women. Just not my style. At the same time they don't make young girls clothes for women with left over baby bellies and a little extra hippage. I'm not big by no means. always been small but the shape of my body has changed. I have a belly and my hips have spread.there not big but they certainly don't fit into these cute little shorts cut for teen girls who have never had a baby. My skin isn't as great as it used to be, thanks to many sleepless nights with babies and stressful days with kids ranging from the baby years to the teen years. I'm just lost on whats in style for my age group and what would actually look good and make me feel good about wearing. Most people still think I look younger than my age. They say I look to be about 28, not 39...(woo hoo, thankyou makeup,lol).

I figure since I tend to like younger generation style clothes, maybe I can look to what women who are around 28 are wearing but my question is what the heck are they wearing? where do they shop? I be darned if I can find anything worthwhile in the stores around my town. One things for sure though, A 39 year old woman should not be trying to wear the same clothes her 16 year old would wear. I still like aeropostale and american eagle and even skater clothes like clockworks....is that wierd.lol. What do late twenty something year olds wear and wear can I shop to find these things.I don't want to look all dressed up like I'm trying to hard either. Just casual would be nice with one or two more dressy styles for when I need to dress that way for whatever occasion.

by on Apr. 28, 2013 at 11:35 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
diaperstodating
by Angel on Apr. 28, 2013 at 11:38 PM
I'm 33 and I shop at Target, Kohls and Old Navy so I am no help.
Bump
ebbierowe
by Member on Apr. 28, 2013 at 11:43 PM
I am pretty much in the same boat...
Nerys-Kianna
by Member on Apr. 29, 2013 at 12:56 AM

Lol, I feel you. I fit in kids size 16 pants but the tops are to small. The woman department is frustrating me, nothing I like is there or way to big.

Briesmom38
by Silver Member on Apr. 29, 2013 at 9:21 AM

I'm 39 and I tend to mainly shop in New York & Co. and Macy's.  Every now and then I find something I like at Kohls.  There are a few other stores I'll venture into and sometimes find something, like Hot Topic, Lord & Taylor, JC Penney, the Gap and (Victoria Secret - online).

** It's 5 O'clock Somewhere **

lizfnf
by Member on Apr. 29, 2013 at 9:24 AM

I'm 30 and I tend to shop at J.Crew, the Gap, and Anthropologie mostly.  I found some cute things at Express recently, and I do tend to pick up something for myself when I shop at Old Navy for my daughter, and Target for tank tops.

findingserenity
by Bronze Member on Apr. 29, 2013 at 9:26 AM
1 mom liked this

Mobile Photo

I know how u feel.lol.. Im 34 and im still wearing teeny clothes..but i dont wanna wear oldies clothes that makes me feel older :-(
Its alright i guess as llong as u dont go overboard..
Jinxed8
by Gold Member on Apr. 29, 2013 at 9:38 AM

I understand you ... I'm 37 and also catch myself dissing the women's section and buying in the Teenager's section in stores... although I am no longer thin and dainty as maternity has also changed and dammaged my body forever. I wear a lot of jeans and booties  I do admit for the tops I tend to pick them up in the "youngins" stores but I buy a lot of plain black.  I also wear a lot of girl-cut concert t-shirts because I love them.  

watch shows like "what not to wear" - and listen to what they're saying ...try to catch a show with a woman similar to your body type etc   I watched one a few years back and they were recommending to some woman my typical outfit - boot cut jeans, with high heel booties, a fitted Motley crue shirt with a leather blazer ... Hey I'm all for that ! The fashion gurus deemed it ok, it's all good to me !  

Kellileanne
by Member on Apr. 29, 2013 at 4:09 PM

I'm 34 and still stuck in jeans and a tshirt most days....so I'm no help.

baileyquarters
by on Apr. 29, 2013 at 4:12 PM
This is me. And while I know I should update, I honestly don't care enough to. The only reason I can think to change is to look good to other people. And I don't care to do that either.

Quoting diaperstodating:

I'm 33 and I shop at Target, Kohls and Old Navy so I am no help.

Bump

mommymeade
by Afton on Apr. 29, 2013 at 4:15 PM

I am 29 and shop at Kohls, Target, Old Navy wherever.

What i do to get ideas is pinterest. gives you greay ideas to use pieces you already have.  I would suggest not wearing short short or skater clothes as those make you look older.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)