Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

30 Something Moms 30 Something Moms

UGH! I am not a SAHM!!!!

Posted by   + Show Post

I feel unappreciated when people always assume that I am a SAHM. It takes a lot of effort to be a SAHM and maturity, yes. You have to have a relationship that is condusive to this arrangement. I though... I am not a SAHM!!!!

I live in a nice house, drive a nice car, and I WORK! Yes. And I am on the loan! And this is not my only HOME!

All the other Moms in our neighborhood, if they work, working is a hobby. Not a hobby over here. My hubby and I are equal contributors. 

If ONE MORE PERSON comes to our door and asks, "can I speak to the owner" or "who makes the decisions here" I will vomit on them! I get completely bypassed and people ask my husband what he does for a living because we have such a nice home.

Petty. Yes. Still drives me crazy... This is what happens when you marry AFTER doing everything on your own for so long *embarassed*

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

by on Apr. 29, 2013 at 10:50 AM
Replies (91-100):
MentorMom1
by on Apr. 29, 2013 at 7:06 PM
2 moms liked this

Sounds like you had a lot of life experience before marrying. You were an independent gal.

But now, if you choose, you can change that and do something else. It's called "sequencing." With sequencing, you get to do it all, just not all at once. And whatever you do, you put your very best effort into it, and focus on that.

You will absolutely be who you make up your mind to be. If you don't want to be a SAHM, and you want to work, why be embarrassed about it if you are happy and confident about your choice?

However, If you want to change your mind, sequence your life as a woman, as many of us have, there's no shame in that. 

Being a stay-at-home mother is a career choice, just like anything else. It requires our very best efforts. Often being a SAHM requires something else: financial sacrifice, which many moms are more than willing to make. It's all up to you.

It's also not an either-or proposition anymore. Many moms work from home, telecommute, do consulting, write for newspapers and magazines, run in-home day cares, etc. while raising kids. The possibilities are endless.

callysmommy
by on Apr. 29, 2013 at 7:12 PM
Why is it such an insult to you? Are you the man or are you a mommy?
ebethmarie
by on Apr. 29, 2013 at 7:15 PM
I am so sick of stay at home moms attacking working mothers. We do not look at it as pawning our children off on someone else. We do not choose to stay at home with our children because of our own personal reasons. If you do not want to be attacked or put down on the decisions that you and your family have made then don't do it to others. I enjoy knowing that I contribute to my family's financial stability. I enjoy knowing that I have assisted in outting the roof over their heads, the food on the table, the clothes on their back, and the family vacations that we take throughout the year. And I still maintain the cleanliness of my house.

Quoting Tamv:

This is a messed up conversation...I'm a stay at home home...because I want to be and because my husband can afford it...maybe I'm not that petty...it doesn't matter how nice of a house or how many cars you have...I work harder now then I ever did and I think if you decide to have a baby you should stay home and raise your child if your able to instead of pawning it off on someone else...

ebethmarie
by on Apr. 29, 2013 at 7:22 PM
1 mom liked this
I don't know where you are from but being a southerner I can promise you I've never had to deal with that. and I find it insulting. Being someone who is relocated to the northeast I have dealt with more rudeness as this person is talking about than I ever dealt with living in the South

Quoting annelauer:

Talking down to women and being racist?

Quoting ebethmarie:

what's an old fashioned southern thing?

Quoting annelauer:

Where do you live?  Maybe it's an old-fashioned, southern thing?

CABZS
by on Apr. 29, 2013 at 7:40 PM
1 mom liked this

FYI I am a SAHM & an EQUAL contributor.  Staying home doesn't mean it isn't equal.

All the other Moms in our neighborhood, if they work, working is a hobby. Not a hobby over here. My hubby and I are equal contributors.

Also, so you want them to ASSume the decision maker in the house, you want them to ASSume you are the home owner?  LMAO, it is NORMAL for people to ask who the decision makers are & who the home owner is when dealing w/certain things.

You need to relax & not take things so personally.

Bird34
by on Apr. 29, 2013 at 7:44 PM

First Ithink being able to be a SAHM is great i wish i could be, because more than not i feel guilty that i am not there when my kids get home.

As for every thing else that has happened to you i am sorry that people are so disrespectful towards you, but if that were me oh some one would have been getting an ear full from me and besides that my husband would not have allowed that to happen.

One more thing we both work and i make more money than him.

awalkoviak
by on Apr. 29, 2013 at 7:52 PM
1 mom liked this
Have you taken the time to think that just like you are offended by people thinking your a sahm by your little rant here you are offending others. Maybe your taking things people say all wrong because You assume they think your a sahm. There's nothing wrong with being a working mom or a sahm. Get off your high horse and and quit assuming people are talking down to you. If it bothers you so much wear a sign around your neck with your job title and income and no one will ever make those comments again.
megs2boys
by on Apr. 29, 2013 at 7:52 PM
1 mom liked this

Clearly her ticker shows that her child died 6 weeks ago.... a little insensitive to make a remark like this =(

Quoting Kword:

If you think being a stay at home mom equals "not doing anything", clearly you really have never tried it! :D HAHAHA!

awalkoviak
by on Apr. 29, 2013 at 8:09 PM
Who's ticker says she lost a baby 6 weeks ago?

Quoting megs2boys:

Clearly her ticker shows that her child died 6 weeks ago.... a little insensitive to make a remark like this =(

Quoting Kword:

If you think being a stay at home mom equals "not doing anything", clearly you really have never tried it! :D HAHAHA!

Tay06
by on Apr. 29, 2013 at 8:10 PM

THat would definitely suck

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)