Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

30 Something Moms 30 Something Moms

Homeschooling

Posted by on Apr. 29, 2013 at 6:01 PM
  • 15 Replies
I wanting to homeschool my kids. Needing any information on a good "school" and the cost also
by on Apr. 29, 2013 at 6:01 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Pnukey
by on Apr. 29, 2013 at 6:04 PM

A lot depends on where you live. You need to look up the requirements for your state.

Britty1987
by on Apr. 29, 2013 at 6:05 PM
I'm looking into it as well. Are you looking for religious or secular? We're looking at Sonlight and Winter's Promise, both Christian. Theres some online as well but I can't remember the names. Maybe Switched on Schoolhouse?
lovevamp
by on Apr. 29, 2013 at 6:09 PM
I'm not 100%. I don't want it all on Christian side. I want it to be equally maybe

Quoting Britty1987:

I'm looking into it as well. Are you looking for religious or secular? We're looking at Sonlight and Winter's Promise, both Christian. Theres some online as well but I can't remember the names. Maybe Switched on Schoolhouse?
Mommy22boys
by on Apr. 29, 2013 at 6:26 PM
How much you spend is based on if you want a prepackaged curriculum and which curriculum you want. I've been homeschooling my 2 boys for 7 years now and spend maybe $100 a year because we don't use a curriculum. This year we did spend more but that's because I wanted to try some new things. I rented textbooks from kno.com, we bought annual passes to Sea world and Universal Studios. We've gone to the zoo a few times and are taking more field trips than in recent years.

If you want a prepackaged curriculum and don't have a lot to spend you can find places online to get used things. You can also do public school at home if your state offers it. We tried Connections Academy when we were first starting out and it didn't work for us.

We are what I called scheduled unschoolers. I let the boys have the freedom to chose most of what they learn but I stay on top of things and make sure math is on grade level and certain other topics are covered in case they do have to go to ps for an unforseen reason like my death or a big financial problem.

Kim                                                                       
 teacherHomeschooling mom and reading book addict

“Home is the best place for teaching many things, first and most important of which is how to think for one's self.” ~Laura Ingalls Wilder

Sigmalade
by Member on Apr. 29, 2013 at 6:30 PM

After looking into your state requirements, there are plenty of options. I know most schools in my area use ABeka curriculum. My ds is three and I like letter of the week and mamamonkseysblogspot. I know there are more programs out there with materials and resources. Also, some school districts offer course guidelines and curriculum resources. Good luck!!!

Pukalani79
by Kris on Apr. 29, 2013 at 7:39 PM

There's so many options out there.  We use Oak Meadow this year, and will probably do a mix that for my older two next year and something different for my youngest.  You might check in with one of the homeschool groups here for more information/opinions.  Homeschooling Moms and Happy Homeschoolers are great ones.

lovevamp
by on Apr. 29, 2013 at 9:17 PM
Thanks ladies
MomofKASandIGS
by on Apr. 29, 2013 at 9:36 PM

I currently have my daughter in the Kindergarten program with K12. The only costs are supplies like crayons and such.

alexsmomaubrys2
by Bronze Member on Apr. 29, 2013 at 9:37 PM

Check out the group 'Happy Homeschoolers' they will be able to help you with all the info you need to get started.

We homeschooled until this year and loved it. =D

lovevamp
by on Apr. 29, 2013 at 9:45 PM
That's one of the programs I was looking into. How do you like it?

Quoting MomofKASandIGS:

I currently have my daughter in the Kindergarten program with K12. The only costs are supplies like crayons and such.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN