Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

30 Something Moms 30 Something Moms

Is It Wrong To Throw A Housewarming Party For Myself And....

Posted by on Apr. 30, 2013 at 3:10 PM
  • 8 Replies
ask for no presents but cash instead. The reason i ask is because my hubby n i arent newlyweds but an old married cpl who have been together for 17 yrs and have 4 kids together. Any housewarming party ive ever been to the traditional thing to do is bring a gift of some sort. But seeings how this is our first ever house would it be wrong to ask for cash? Or is it to tacky. I do plan on hosting a big barbaque/pig roast so that our guests can enjoy themselves and our new home. So let me hear it ladies whats ur opinions??
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 30, 2013 at 3:10 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
KendallsMommee
by Chrissy on Apr. 30, 2013 at 3:19 PM

My DH's co-worker threw himself a housewarming party and wrote on the invitations "Cash and Checks gladly accepted". We found the whole thing so tacky we didn't even attend. Apparently so did many other people. Only a couple of people showed up.

Briesmom38
by Gold Member on Apr. 30, 2013 at 3:32 PM

Throwing yourself a housewarming party is fine, asking for cash definitely tacky.

** It's 5 O'clock Somewhere **

countrymomma81
by Platinum Member on Apr. 30, 2013 at 4:02 PM

Quoting Briesmom38:

Throwing yourself a housewarming party is fine, asking for cash definitely tacky.

This. I've gotten invitations to events where cash was asked for and ultimately decided not to attend. I feel like gifts are supposed to be optional. If you put "cash preferred" or whatever, they may feel obligated and that puts some people off. 

sallij
by Member on Apr. 30, 2013 at 4:55 PM
This. I will be throwing one for myself so my friends/family can enjoy my new house with good food and good company, not because I expect gifts or money.

Quoting Briesmom38:

hollydaze1974
by on Apr. 30, 2013 at 5:12 PM
Yes, it's rude to expect a gift of any kind. A housewarming party is for you friends and fam to get together and celebrate your new home.
It's fine to throw a house warming party, but look at it this way, if your child got a birthday invite starring " money in lieu of gifts, please" how would you take that? Would you be aghast at such boldness? Is it different as an adult?
Parties are celebrations and for fellowship, gifting is up to the guests.
Allebas
by Member on Apr. 30, 2013 at 5:17 PM

Its fine to throw yourself a housewarming party, but to ask for money is always tacky!! I have never received an invitation saying the person/couple only wanted cash, but if I ever do, I guarantee I will not show up for the party, nor will I give any gift period!!

mommybug77
by on Apr. 30, 2013 at 8:35 PM
I don't agree with it
mumsy2three
by Shauna on Apr. 30, 2013 at 8:37 PM

I think it's fine to have a housewarming party or open house but I don't think it's okay to ask for cash/checks.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN