Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

30 Something Moms 30 Something Moms

I recently read a post about the tradition of selling commemorative shot and wine glasses to high school students on prom night.

Posted by on May. 1, 2013 at 10:58 AM
  • 11 Replies

Poll

Question: So, I was wondering - can anyone think of a better alternative?

Options:

Wine/Shot Glass or Stein

Coffee Cup

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 5

View Results

After I read the pro's and con's of the argument it seemed like about half of the reply postings were against it, the other half of the reply postings were more-or-less arguing that it shouldn't matter - but I noticed that there weren't really any postings that were gung-ho FOR the sale of vessels intended to swill alcoholic beverages from being sold to teens on prom night. 

It just seems like an outdated tradition. I don't necessarily believe it sends a wrong message that drinking is okay and promote underage drinking - I just think that we could really come up with something a little more appropriate now that we are all aware of the dangers of underage alcohol consumption and driving etc. 

I remember buying a pair of commemorative champaign glasses, but they sat in the back of my mother's kitchen cupboard for years and I forot about them entirely until I read that posting. Who knows what happened to them.

So, I was wondering - can anyone think of a better alternative?  

drinking

I might have purchased a nice coffee mug with my school logo on the front, but that's about all I could come up with. 

by on May. 1, 2013 at 10:58 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
AuntieMom101
by on May. 1, 2013 at 3:38 PM
1 mom liked this
You know I had never thought much about any of it (and I went to 3 proms without wanting any of the commemoritve stuff) but honestly I don't a clue what else they could offer lol.
PinkButterfly66
by on May. 1, 2013 at 3:44 PM

How about a plastic water cup with school logo on it instead or key chains?

grneyedormom
by Kendra on May. 1, 2013 at 3:45 PM
1 mom liked this
Hmmm, never had any commerative items like that at prom. We got our ticket, which usually was a key chain and prom pictures.
DBone_Holmes
by on May. 1, 2013 at 3:50 PM

Keychains would be a great idea, it would also celebrate the milestone of learning to drive.

Quoting PinkButterfly66:

mamaslilpunkin
by Bronze Member on May. 1, 2013 at 4:50 PM
1 mom liked this

I would say a nice keychain or a nice water bottle,like a Camelback.

Marimaru
by on May. 1, 2013 at 6:06 PM
1 mom liked this

Waterbottle, or those clear cups with the plastic straws, or a travel tumbler.  Any of those would be good. Or nice pens would be a good option.

TableforSeven
by Judy on May. 1, 2013 at 10:25 PM
1 mom liked this

The high school I went to GAVE everyone who attended the prom a wine glass with the prom's 'logo' and theme song on it.  My brother attended the same high school, but his class got champaign glasses.  I remember laughing about the glasses with my friends.....we thought it was a bit odd.  But, it was a nice thing to have to remember the event.  My wine glass sat on a shelf in my bedroom with my prom ticket inside of it for years.  I never used the glass and have no idea where it is today.

reneer1
by on May. 2, 2013 at 8:25 AM
1 mom liked this
Quoting PinkButterfly66:

My mom is a high school teacher, their school has keychains and the wine glasses. Talk about a mixed message.
ChancesMommy07
by on May. 2, 2013 at 8:30 AM

My high school gave the girls wine glasses with a candle in it and the boys got mugs. I have them from both my junior and senior prom. I think they are nice keepsakes and mine are still in my china cabinet.

KylesMom409
by Linnette on May. 2, 2013 at 8:40 AM
I agree.

Quoting DBone_Holmes:

Keychains would be a great idea, it would also celebrate the milestone of learning to drive.

Quoting PinkButterfly66:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN