Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

30 Something Moms 30 Something Moms

What age do you think it's okay to leave your kids alone in the car?

Posted by on May. 2, 2013 at 3:11 PM
  • 44 Replies

What age do you think it's okay to leave your kids alone in the car?

At preschool drop off a mom let her 6 year old stay in the car while she was inside. I can't imagine letting my kids do it at such a young age.

by on May. 2, 2013 at 3:11 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
DunnellonMomma
by on May. 2, 2013 at 3:16 PM

Um, Never in FL unless you want your windows broken and to be arrested. That is against the law down here and you WILL be taken to jail. 

countrymomma81
by Platinum Member on May. 2, 2013 at 3:21 PM

It depends on the maturity of the child, where you are and how long you'll be. 

My son was a little more mature and cautious so if I have to run in the gas station or something I'll let him stay in but he knows to lock the doors until I come back. And the gas station I go to, he can be seen from everywhere I'm at. 

My daughter.....she'll be a different story. I don't trust her not one bit so she'll get down with me everywhere until she's 20...lol. 

e-doolittle
by Kelly on May. 2, 2013 at 7:57 PM
2 moms liked this
That seems really young. I'm thinking around 10 or 12?
momofsunshine77
by Bronze Member on May. 2, 2013 at 8:06 PM

depends - if I am in the gas station just picking up a soda or something and can see my car, it is 10 million times faster to run in and run out.  I lock the doors and let them know I will be right back.  IF I will be going in a grocery store or Walmart or something NO WAY!!!! 

reche1978
by Bronze Member on May. 2, 2013 at 8:13 PM

I think it depends on the child and for how long.  I have talked to my dh about this and were thinking trying with our oldest once shes about 12 or 13 just for an hour or two and go from there.  If she feel comfortable with it

diaperstodating
by Angel on May. 2, 2013 at 9:33 PM
12 or 13
crissy87231
by on May. 2, 2013 at 10:24 PM

I have 3 boys 7, 8 & 10. I will not let my younger 2 stay in the car by themselves. When my oldest is with us, they can stay in the car only for a few minutes if we are running into a store where we are relativity close. Always with the doors locked!  

kitty8199
by Bronze Member on May. 2, 2013 at 10:26 PM
Never. It's illegal here for a minor to be alone in the car.
Too many kid have died. So now there's a law.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
KylesMom409
by Linnette on May. 2, 2013 at 10:34 PM
I say never.
conniejo75
by Bronze Member on May. 2, 2013 at 10:36 PM
There is no risk of dying in car once they are old enough to know how to unroll windows. My kids were 5/6 when I would run in to pay for gas or something. Not for extended time
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)