Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

30 Something Moms 30 Something Moms

possible move to tampa bay,fl. anyone tell me about it?

Posted by on May. 3, 2013 at 8:37 AM
  • 19 Replies
We might be moving there overthe summer. Well hubby definitely will for school but not sure if me and kids will. What are the nice or safe areas? Whats a decent 2 bed 1 bath rent? What elementary schools are the best? What suburbs areas are nice? Whar should i worry about?

We are from northern wisconsin so this would be a bit of a move for us but depending on schools and housing dh may go alone and we will stay here. Just would like a heads up and a leg up before jumping all in. Thanks ladies
by on May. 3, 2013 at 8:37 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jillbailey26
by on May. 3, 2013 at 9:06 AM

What's your max rent price?

*ETA*  Are you looking for strictly a house or will an apartment, duplex or mobile home work too?

"Let us therefore make every effort to do what leads to peace and to mutual edification"  Romans 14:19

MommyAddie
by Member on May. 3, 2013 at 9:18 AM
I'm going to have to follow this post because we are moving to the area after this next winter. Oddly enough, we're in Wi, too. We're looking anywhere between Tampa and Ft. Myers Beach.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jillbailey26
by on May. 3, 2013 at 9:55 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting MommyAddie:

I'm going to have to follow this post because we are moving to the area after this next winter. Oddly enough, we're in Wi, too. We're looking anywhere between Tampa and Ft. Myers Beach.

North Port has some really good schools.  It's not ON the beach, but easily accessible.  It's also pretty nice, from what I remember.

Venice, which is closer to a beach, also has some really good schools.

Cape Coral has a few good schools and so does Fort Myers.  I used to live there and personally I hate it there.  It's really easy for kids to get into trouble with drugs and various other things.

Clearwater also has a bunch of good schools.  It's surrounded by beaches.

Tampa has a mix of good schools, but not very many of them.  It's a busy city, so it's not somewhere I'd live, lol.

"Let us therefore make every effort to do what leads to peace and to mutual edification"  Romans 14:19

KylesMom409
by Linnette on May. 3, 2013 at 10:06 AM
I'm in Port St Lucie but here is a bump! And be sure to check out the Florida Moms group, where you'll find a lot of helpful info. :)
lkane81
by Member on May. 3, 2013 at 6:10 PM
I perfer suburbs apt or mobile or house dont care rent max would be around 800. Off beach but within 10 miles would be nice. I know beach would be crazy rent. A small commute to his.school isnt too big a deal.

Quoting jillbailey26:

Quoting MommyAddie:

North Port has some really good schools.  It's not ON the beach, but easily accessible.  It's also pretty nice, from what I remember.

Cape Coral has a few good schools and so does Fort Myers.  I used to live there and personally I hate it there.  It's really easy for kids to get into trouble with drugs and various other things.

Tampa has a mix of good schools, but not very many of them.  It's a busy city, so it's not somewhere I'd live, lol.

lkane81
by Member on May. 3, 2013 at 6:13 PM
Where in wi are you? Are u going permenatly or temp? This is only the two years for his school unless a nice job comes along. I worry about sharks gators and hurricanes.

Quoting MommyAddie:

kitty8199
by Bronze Member on May. 3, 2013 at 6:16 PM
My aunt lives in Lutz, which is just outside Tampa. Nice area. Slightly expensive but not a lot of crime.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jillbailey26
by on May. 3, 2013 at 6:34 PM

I've been using Zillow.  It's an awesome site.  It has houses for rent and for sale.  It gives maps, bird's eye views, school information and ratings and has a great filter for finding what you want.  Look around on that to see how far you're willing to live from Tampa.

Quoting lkane81:

I perfer suburbs apt or mobile or house dont care rent max would be around 800. Off beach but within 10 miles would be nice. I know beach would be crazy rent. A small commute to his.school isnt too big a deal.

Quoting jillbailey26:

Quoting MommyAddie:

MommyAddie
by Member on May. 4, 2013 at 2:21 PM
We're in a Milwaukee suburb, so we're pretty far south. We'll be going permanently, and I can't wait. I'm not too scared of the gulf coast storms, but I've been told to stay away from freshwater or you'll have gators. We found a house and almost bought it (even though we're not leaving until after this next winter) because the price was so low, but it had a large pond outside the backyard fence and another cm'er had warned me there would be gators in your yard if you had a pond. No thank you. We are looking to live as close to the gulf water as we can. I'm more worried about snakes than anything. I'm terrified of snakes.

Quoting lkane81:

Where in wi are you? Are u going permenatly or temp? This is only the two years for his school unless a nice job comes along. I worry about sharks gators and hurricanes.

Quoting MommyAddie:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Karen_29
by on May. 4, 2013 at 3:02 PM

I just moved from St Petersburg a few months ago. Where are you moving?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN