Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Parents of kids who share a room

Posted by on May. 4, 2013 at 3:19 AM
  • 32 Replies
1 mom liked this

Well, I have 2 boys one is almost 4 and the other is 18 months. We live in a 2 bedroom 2 bath apartment. Right now the 18th month old is sleeping in our room eventually we are going to have to move him over. What do u think are the positives and negatives of siblings sharing rooms?? What are some tips on organization or sleeping you can give me? What are the struggles you had? Or just anything else? 

by on May. 4, 2013 at 3:19 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
12yrmama
by Bronze Member on May. 4, 2013 at 10:28 AM

I'll let you know! We have our 18 mos old in our room but will move her in with her sister (4 yrs) at the end of the month. We wanted to wait anouther 6 mos.. but we're moving so we might as well go for it.

I think the hardest part will be bedtime and any waking up in the middle of the night. They already play together in there a lot. (we will separate them when their older, after big brother moves out. seems too much to ask them to room together as teens)

My plan is just to go for it and be ready for quite a few rough nights at first.

kyledavidsmom
by Tara on May. 4, 2013 at 10:29 AM

I have 2 girls that share a room 

I have 2 boys that share a room

For my girls they have bunk beds and share a big dressor and each have their own cubbies. They are 7 and 11

For my boys they have bunk beds and share  a big dressor. And each of them have their own little table for their stuff. They are 8 and 12

azn_ladie82
by Bronze Member on May. 4, 2013 at 10:40 AM

I live in a similar situation, but in a duplex. For the time being my boys (ages 8, 5.5 & 5) are sharing a bedroom. My older two sleep on a bunk bed and my youngest sleeps in a twin on the opposite side. They share a dresser but I also have big totes in their closet for clothes they don't need during a particular season. I try to get rid of toys they don't need and what they do keep, those are in totes as well.

I can't really say there is a hard part to them sharing a room. At night they talk for a bit but they're pretty good about falling asleep within 30 minutes or so. My boys get along pretty well. With your boys being younger, it might take some adjustment til they get used to sharing a room.

Raeann11
by Silver Member on May. 4, 2013 at 12:00 PM

For a while all three of my girls shared a room. We had a bunk bed and  a twin bed. Know my two youngest share a room. Our bunk bed and twin bed my Dad made for us. They have drawers in them for storage.

Pukalani79
by Kris on May. 4, 2013 at 12:01 PM

My girls are 9 and 8 and have shared a room since they were babies.  Right now they have two twin beds, but they'll probably go back up to bunk beds to save space.  They do have their own dressers, but other than that, they share everything.  They have to make decisions together about what happens in their room, which can be difficult at times.

Quinn525
by Bronze Member on May. 4, 2013 at 1:32 PM
I had sd and ods share a room until she was 8. Then I moved the boys together. We recently gave them their own bed and dresser on opposite sides of the room. The have different sleep patterns which drive them nuts. When ods is 14 or so, we'll move him to the den.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
BlueJane
by on May. 4, 2013 at 2:07 PM
My girls share a room (4.5 & 1). It's great other than when one of them wakes up in the middle of the night, the other one usually does too. But it's not that bad.
JasonsMom2007
by Lisa on May. 4, 2013 at 2:34 PM

I can't say yet.  DS is moving into dd's room today because there was a murder of a child last Saturday and last night somebody tried to get into some kid's room leaving all valuables alone in the home.  We want ds upstairs with us instead of downstaris alone!

skuvs1
by New Member on May. 4, 2013 at 3:09 PM
3 moms liked this

I have 5 kiddos.  My 3 boys share a room and my 2 girls share a room.  The boys have a bigger room.  My 10 year old has the top bunk and my 6 year old has the bottom bunk.  My 18 month old is in a crib.  There are days where it works great and they all fall a sleep like they are suppose to, but there are many days when it doesn't work.  We staggar their bedtimes.  My 18 month old goes down at 7:30 and then my 6 year old goes down at 8:00 and then my 10 year old goes to be at 9:00.  So usually one is sleeping before the other gets in there. Everyone has a color so they know whos is what.  The changing table is one dresser and then I got blastic drawer containes for the onlder two that go in the closet.  My bunk beds don't have drawers under them so I took 3 drawers from a old dresser and put them under the bed.  It really works great and saves on space!

irishmama1007
by Member on May. 4, 2013 at 3:17 PM

My boys are 5 and 3. We put them in the same room a couple months before DS2's 3rd birthday. We bought bunk beds for their sleeping arrangement. We had a difficult time getting the younger one to understand he isn't allowed up top. DH and I made their bedtime routine the same and the now go to bed at the same time. The biggest struggle we have had is that they giggle and play for up to an hour after bedtime. BUT they are so much closer now than they were with separate rooms. They fight like crazy but unles DS1 is really tired they prefer to sleep in the bottom bunk together. It is funny to see them get mad at each because the other doesn't want to play with them.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)