Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

30 Something Moms 30 Something Moms

To pee or not to pee...

Posted by on May. 5, 2013 at 8:10 PM
  • 12 Replies
First time new mommy. My daughter is 6 weeks old and seems to be peeing an awful lot. She'll have really heavy diapers when we go to change her and even pee while we're changing her. There are times we change her, feed her, then after she eats we need to change her again cause she is wet. She's feeding every 3 hours (give or take) and getting 4oz. Should I be concerned? Could she maybe have a UTI? Any advice is much appreciated!!
by on May. 5, 2013 at 8:10 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Tckosdk.2012
by Bronze Member on May. 5, 2013 at 8:29 PM

The only signs that I know of of a UTI are crying while urinating & blood in the urine. You can see blood in her diaper. I don't think urinating too much is an issue. You could always call your pedi to ask. Good luck :)

Jen4boys06
by on May. 5, 2013 at 8:56 PM
I think she's fine :) baby's only drink so they do pee a lot! If she had a uti she would be in pain and probably have a fever. She's a healthy girl with healthy kidneys :)
TimetoMomUp
by on May. 5, 2013 at 9:16 PM

Babies pee a lot!  I would not be worried unless there is blood or a foul smell. 

UmmAyoub
by on May. 5, 2013 at 9:25 PM

that sounds like a normal infant babies pee alot I know I've had 4 and one on the way if she's fussy and it seems to hurt her take her to a doctor

conniejo75
by Bronze Member on May. 5, 2013 at 9:31 PM
Peeing a lot can be sign of diabetes. If you are concerned talk to her pedi
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Saharra
by Bronze Member on May. 5, 2013 at 10:13 PM
Yes, but the urine is usually dark and will smell strong. You will also see her being very fussy because she's hungry but won't eat, glassy eyes, extreme thirst, and breath smells fruity.
I was diagnosed when I was two. I had a sugar of 800 and my parents had no idea. It has to run on both sides of the family, but even if you know of someone on one side and not the other, there could have been someone way back when who didn't know.
Ask your doc if your nervous about it. It's easy to check for, and if it eases your mind, it's worth it!

Quoting conniejo75:

conniejo75
by Bronze Member on May. 5, 2013 at 11:02 PM
Half my family is type 1... I know the symptoms. And early on it wouldn't be as obvious. But my point is if it concerns the OP it is best to get it checked out

Quoting Saharra:

Yes, but the urine is usually dark and will smell strong. You will also see her being very fussy because she's hungry but won't eat, glassy eyes, extreme thirst, and breath smells fruity.

I was diagnosed when I was two. I had a sugar of 800 and my parents had no idea. It has to run on both sides of the family, but even if you know of someone on one side and not the other, there could have been someone way back when who didn't know.

Ask your doc if your nervous about it. It's easy to check for, and if it eases your mind, it's worth it!

Quoting conniejo75:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sdgd21
by Diana on May. 5, 2013 at 11:09 PM
I Agree, plus I am told the girls go a lot more than boys do. I don't know I only have boys. If it was a urinary tract infection chances are diapers would not be that full when you have a urinary track infection there's only a little Coming out at a time. And as the other mom said it is painful.

Quoting Jen4boys06:

I think she's fine :) baby's only drink so they do pee a lot! If she had a uti she would be in pain and probably have a fever. She's a healthy girl with healthy kidneys :)
EmmasMommy324
by on May. 6, 2013 at 12:30 AM
Thanks so much all!!
exhaustedmother
by Bronze Member on May. 6, 2013 at 4:53 AM

Sounds like she is fine- babies drink an awful lot so they usually pee quite a bit. I'd be more concerned if she wasn't peeing that much.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)