Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms of 8, 9 or 10 year olds ....

Posted by on May. 8, 2013 at 9:48 AM
  • 98 Replies

I need your opinions regarding bedtimes ...   what time do you put your 8-9-10 year old to bed ? 

Here's the deal at my house, 7pm she goes up for her shower, teeth brushing, PJs, brush hair etc 7h30pm to 8pm is free time she can either watch TV, play her DS or do whatever she wants in her room.  8pm is time to say goodnight, it's technically lights out & no more getting up.  She usually asks for a book in bed and I oblige my guess is she falls asleep before 8h30 hits.  This being said she goes to school, she's cranky if she doesn't get enough sleep.  She's up (no matter what time she went to bed) at 6h30am every morning. 

Now, I see kids still playing outside at 7h45pm, my neighbour's kids are still in the pool at 8pm which of course makes DD mad.  She's arguing with me that her bedtime is too early.  I keep telling her THEY are the ones that are out of whack.  Am I wrong ?

by on May. 8, 2013 at 9:48 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jillbailey26
by on May. 8, 2013 at 9:50 AM
2 moms liked this

Mine all go to bed at 8.  No books, lights out, go to sleep, 8:00.  They're 4, 8, and 10.  They also wake up at 6:30.

"Let us therefore make every effort to do what leads to peace and to mutual edification"  Romans 14:19

AuntieMom101
by on May. 8, 2013 at 9:57 AM
1 mom liked this
Bedtime here is 9 pm until you are 13 at which time we re-evaluate whether they are capable of setting their own schedule. If the kids are riding the bus to school they have to be up at 6 am. Otherwise they get up no later than 7. The 4 yr old is the only one I have issues with in the morning but she is my hardest child all the way around lol.
snowangel1979
by Bronze Member on May. 8, 2013 at 10:09 AM
My 9 year olds bedtime is 8. He's allowed to read or whatever but It's quite time and lights are off. He gets up at 7.

How is her quality of sleep?
How is her mattress? DS was like that untill we gave him our old mattress when we got a new one. I think his was to hard and he does a lot better in a queen instead of a twin. He sleeps 110% better now.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
azn_ladie82
by Bronze Member on May. 8, 2013 at 10:17 AM

My boys (8, soon to be 6 and 5) bedtime was at 9pm til I started school. Now they're in bed at 945, which is late for me. It's lights out..the only thing they can do is chat for a bit before they actually fall asleep and that takes about 20 minutes. They're up at 7am (their bus gets here at 809am). On weekends, they're in bed around the same time and wake up around 800am. Everyone parents differently, but I say do what's best for your kids.

Briesmom38
by Silver Member on May. 8, 2013 at 10:21 AM
2 moms liked this

My dd is 11 and she's in bed at 8pm on a school night, especially since she's up at 6am.

** It's 5 O'clock Somewhere **

Jinxed8
by Gold Member on May. 8, 2013 at 10:21 AM

her quality of sleep is good.  At 8 I say good night and often give her a book but we do not hear anything.  I always go and check on her around 11pm and she's VERY sound asleep.  Her matress is good.  Eventually I will change it for a double when she's a little older and her room is not such a toy fest !  LOL

Quoting snowangel1979:

My 9 year olds bedtime is 8. He's allowed to read or whatever but It's quite time and lights are off. He gets up at 7.

How is her quality of sleep?
How is her mattress? DS was like that untill we gave him our old mattress when we got a new one. I think his was to hard and he does a lot better in a queen instead of a twin. He sleeps 110% better now.

bunnywzrd
by Bronze Member on May. 8, 2013 at 10:25 AM
1 mom liked this

Mine go to bed at 9. They are 6 and 10. They don't wake up till 7:15 though.

Pooobaihr
by on May. 8, 2013 at 10:26 AM

Mine go to bed between 8 and 9 on school nights.

Tigress22304
by on May. 8, 2013 at 10:27 AM
1 mom liked this

my 9yr old DD goes to bed at 9pm by 830 we do brushing teeth/hair/washing up/bedtime story and IN BED by 9pm

she has to be up by 730 for school-but most of the time she's in bed by 830.

It mainly depends on her activity level-if she's a pretty active kid then 8-830 is reasonable

June3May4June3
by Member on May. 8, 2013 at 10:29 AM

Nope. My almost 8 year old goes to bed at 8:30 and has to be up at 6:30 for school.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)