Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

30 Something Moms 30 Something Moms

So what's the rule here?

Posted by on May. 10, 2013 at 3:24 PM
  • 43 Replies

I know men shouldn't ask women how old they are...but can women ask other women their age?

I was just talking to a co-worker that I originally thought was my mother's age or older (mid to late 50s).  She just told me she has a 15 year old son which makes me think she's actually more around my age (late 30's, early 40's).  Would it be rude for me to ask how old she is?

by on May. 10, 2013 at 3:24 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
conniejo75
by Bronze Member on May. 10, 2013 at 3:27 PM
1 mom liked this
Why would u need to know... I mean unless there is a legit reason. Honestly, I think it is rude to ask anyone's age.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Babujai
by Bronze Member on May. 10, 2013 at 3:31 PM

Quoting conniejo75:

Why would u need to know... I mean unless there is a legit reason. Honestly, I think it is rude to ask anyone's age.

Honestly I'm just curious...I don't need to know.  I never get offended when people ask my age, but it takes a lot to offend me.  That's why I asked.

natural_s
by Silver Member on May. 10, 2013 at 5:20 PM

I'm like you who cares if someone ask you how old you are, unless you have something to hide but since there are a lot of sensitve people  you might want to caution just so she just doesn't have an attitude with you because you ask her age, lol.

I think if you word it differently without making her feel like she has to tell you that might make it better or you can just let it go but personaly I don't think its rude.

KendallsMommee
by Chrissy on May. 10, 2013 at 10:07 PM
1 mom liked this

I wouldn't ask.

But she could very well be in her 50's. I'll be 49 when DD is 15. DH will be 67. DD is only 6 now, though...lol

Or she could just look old for her age.

diaperstodating
by Angel on May. 10, 2013 at 10:10 PM
I wouldn't mind if someone asked me my age.
diaperstodating
by Angel on May. 10, 2013 at 10:12 PM
I have a 14 year old. I would rather someone ask my age than assume I am in my 50's (but that would never happen).
annelauer
by on May. 10, 2013 at 10:24 PM
1 mom liked this

I wouldn't ask straight out, but you could ask something like where did she go to school and when did she graduate.  That would give you an idea.  Or stalk her on Facebook and see if she posted her birthday there or if any of her classmates from school did.  

annelauer
by on May. 10, 2013 at 10:24 PM

Oh, I forgot public records sites.  You can look her up and find out there too.

Crafty8852
by on May. 11, 2013 at 8:33 AM

I have a pretty good work relationship with my coworkers, we openly talk about stuff like that and wouldn't have any offense to being asked our ages. I guess it depends on the situation?

Kitschy
by on May. 11, 2013 at 8:35 AM
2 moms liked this

I'll be 48 when my youngest is 15. Not everyone has babies at 21

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN