Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Parents that don't punish...

Posted by on May. 11, 2013 at 12:25 PM
  • 10 Replies
Have you ever heard of this? I know a family that practice this ( some of the worse kids I have ever been around), I was wondering if other people know families like this, and are the children well behaved?
by on May. 11, 2013 at 12:25 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
sdgd21
by Diana on May. 11, 2013 at 12:26 PM
And I mean no time outs, no grounding nothing.
Pukalani79
by Kris on May. 11, 2013 at 12:42 PM

I've never heard of that.  How do they learn consequences?

sdgd21
by Diana on May. 11, 2013 at 12:54 PM
As far as I can tell they don't.

Quoting Pukalani79:

I've never heard of that.  How do they learn consequences?

12yrmama
by Bronze Member on May. 11, 2013 at 1:21 PM
4 moms liked this

I think* its based on positive reaction to positive behavior. Parents use logic, open conversations, and modeling to influence their childrens behavior.

That "punishment"s aren't appropriate because behavior issues are part of age/stage something just part of being a kid and the learning experiences.

Having said that... it is not something we practice! (At least not as the only answer, sometimes it is the best way to teach. We do time-outs and take away toys/tv, etc when needed. Moderation ppl, moderation.

diaperstodating
by Angel on May. 11, 2013 at 1:56 PM

confused

Never heard of it, and I don't practice it.

Bonneata
by Bronze Member on May. 11, 2013 at 7:37 PM
1 mom liked this

No, kids need negative attention to negative behavior. Aka time out, loss of a prove ledge ect. Just as much as they need patience and understanding. No discipline at all does seem logical to me.

Rjcdm
by on May. 11, 2013 at 7:39 PM
we do this. it is using logical consequences for their behavior and my kids are well behaved.
mommybug77
by Crystal on May. 12, 2013 at 9:11 AM
I usually don't pay close enough attention usually to know if they punish or not.
sdgd21
by Diana on May. 12, 2013 at 6:29 PM
You don't feel that when they grow up and are punished for their wrong doing, that they may act out or not be able to except punishment? We do live a world where you are punished.

Quoting Rjcdm:

we do this. it is using logical consequences for their behavior and my kids are well behaved.
conniejo75
by Bronze Member on May. 12, 2013 at 6:40 PM
1 mom liked this
Some say I don't punish.. but we have rules and expectations. When rules are not followed they don't get rewarded but I have never grounded my kids either. We talk about logical consequences and how when they are older if they don't follow rules there are consequences. My boys are teenagers now and extremely well behaved.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)