Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

i dont know where else to go for opinions

Posted by   + Show Post
Ok, here's my situation. I have a 12 year old son. Me and his father split up in 2008. I went for custody while we were still together. I was with my sons father for 8 years and he sat on his ass the whole time. I raised my son I worked I went back to school all while this man sat home on the computer. Anyway, I got sole physical custody and his father got no visitation. He is court ordered to pay $25 a month and he has never made one payment. I honestly don't even want it. Here's where my problem lies. I am now married to a wonderful man who is willing to adopt my son. My son tells me each and everyday that he wants me to change his last name to what mine is (which is my husbands last name). I sent my sons father a polite email asking if he would sign over his rights and he replied rudely telling me no (amongst other things). Is there anything I can do, being that he doesn't pay child support, and hasn't seen his son since 2008. I would love to honor my sons requests but want to do it the right way. Any input is appreciated.
by on May. 11, 2013 at 3:58 PM
Replies (21-23):
by Gold Member on May. 13, 2013 at 5:54 PM

My oldest wants my hubby's last name as well and I know his father won't sign over rights.  We just told him once he turns 18, he can change his name legally through the courts.  Otherwise you're going to have to go through the courts.

family in the van   Mom of four

by Linnette on May. 13, 2013 at 7:39 PM
I agree. Hugs and good luck!

Quoting mumsy2three:

I would contact a lawyer and start the process to have his parental rights terminated.Let the lawyer know that you haven't received any support from your son's father and that your ex has made no attempt to see or have contact with your son. Not sure how many years have to pass, it was 2 years when my cousin had her son's father's rights terminated.

by on May. 13, 2013 at 10:21 PM
1 mom liked this
My sons father is court ordered. I went up to the child support unit today to inquire about what steps I would have to take and found out some pretty interesting facts. Well my sons father was court ordered to pay $25 a month starting back in 2008. So if you add that up its a nice chunk of change...come to find out there's a cap on it, meaning what he owes will never go over $500. Someone please tell me what kind of shit is that? Well whatever, so I ask about having my sons fathers rights terminated. The woman said all I have to do is go to family court and we will go to court and as long as I can prove that he doesn't pay child support and that it would be in my sons best interest then his rights will be terminated and my husband can adopt him. So that's good (I hope).
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)