Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

30 Something Moms 30 Something Moms

Discipline help needed!

Posted by on May. 16, 2013 at 5:09 PM
  • 18 Replies

I have a very active smart 2 yr old little girl. She is almost constantly getting into things or doing things she shouldn't.

I've done my best to be consistent with time-outs, natural consequences and even *hangs head in shame* the occasional swat on the butt. None of it really phases her. If she wants a snack and cries for it I won't give it to her until she asks nicely, that's about the only time I feel like I'm getting through to her. 

Anyone have any ideas?

Oh and I don't think it's terrible 2's she's been like this since she was a baby. If anything it's slightly better now that she can communicate a little more. 

by on May. 16, 2013 at 5:09 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
BlueJane
by on May. 16, 2013 at 5:51 PM
I am the last one who should be giving advise but here's a bump!!
Firewoman33
by Silver Member on May. 16, 2013 at 6:09 PM
Hahaha thanks anyway

Quoting BlueJane:

I am the last one who should be giving advise but here's a bump!!

Saharra
by Bronze Member on May. 16, 2013 at 8:31 PM
1 mom liked this
Just be strong and consistent :) Some kids are stronger then others! My first was a breeze. The second is a challenge ;) By the time you think you've got it figured out they change it on you!
sdgd21
by Diana on May. 16, 2013 at 8:36 PM
2 moms liked this
Okay mine will not be a popular answer. But here is my expense. I have raised for very well behaved boys wherever we go we get compliments on them. I am appreciative of it but I don't always think they are that will behave LOL.
Anyways one of the things I have learned is that different kids need different forms of punishment, we don't listen to the "don't do this and don't do that" parents. I go with what works.
You have see what effects your child the most, what gets their attention, and when the time is right, yes that may mean a spanking.
Stephd710
by Bronze Member on May. 16, 2013 at 8:55 PM
1 mom liked this
I have two 2 year old girls. One is more into the terrible twos than the other. When she has a fit, I put her in her room, pull the door to but not shut all the way. When she's done screaming she can come out. She knows this. I spank too, don't feel bad, sometimes its needed and if it works, it works. Talking and reasoning with a kid their age doesn't work especially in the midst of a meltdown, they can't focus on what you are saying. So she gets removed, then comes out on her own, we give hugs and go back to playing.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LoveMyBoyK
by Silver Member on May. 16, 2013 at 9:08 PM
DS is 3 but this is what we recently started: we found a small glass jar and told him he gets a penny any time he is extra good (helping with chores, listening well all day, etc...) he gets a penny for the jar. When he fills the jar, we will take him to get a present ($10 or less). But if he disobeys, runs off, is naughty, he loses a penny. I have had pretty Good success getting him to toe the line by just saying "do you want to lose a penny?" It is not 100% but it seems the longer we do it the more effective it is.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Crissy2424
by Bronze Member on May. 16, 2013 at 9:43 PM

that is a great idea! That is like something I've seen on Nanny 9-1-1. Like a chore chart or something...then at the end is a gift they get or can get. 

Quoting LoveMyBoyK:

DS is 3 but this is what we recently started: we found a small glass jar and told him he gets a penny any time he is extra good (helping with chores, listening well all day, etc...) he gets a penny for the jar. When he fills the jar, we will take him to get a present ($10 or less). But if he disobeys, runs off, is naughty, he loses a penny. I have had pretty Good success getting him to toe the line by just saying "do you want to lose a penny?" It is not 100% but it seems the longer we do it the more effective it is.

Firewoman33
by Silver Member on May. 17, 2013 at 10:14 AM

That's exactly where I'm at. My first is extremely easy. DD is very positive and fun just into everything.

I just find it extra frustrating since I've been around kids my whole life, I'm the oldest of 4 I was the neighborhood babysitter since 8, I was a nanny and had my own daycare. One of the kids I watched had Aspergers and his therapists used to come and observe me since I was getting such great results for him. I've always been the one that people went to for hard to handle kids/situations.

I think you're right, there isn't a magic answer. I'll just have to hope her understanding of consequences keeps improving. so far she needs to learn things the hard way for it to have any effect. :( 

Quoting Saharra:

Just be strong and consistent :) Some kids are stronger then others! My first was a breeze. The second is a challenge ;) By the time you think you've got it figured out they change it on you!

morning_glories
by Member on May. 17, 2013 at 10:24 AM
i agree everyone of my daughters required something different #1-spanking, #2-time outs, #3-needs her toys confiscated

sadly u are the only one who knows what works best

good luck :)

Quoting Stephd710:

I have two 2 year old girls. One is more into the terrible twos than the other. When she has a fit, I put her in her room, pull the door to but not shut all the way. When she's done screaming she can come out. She knows this. I spank too, don't feel bad, sometimes its needed and if it works, it works. Talking and reasoning with a kid their age doesn't work especially in the midst of a meltdown, they can't focus on what you are saying. So she gets removed, then comes out on her own, we give hugs and go back to playing.

goddess829
by Bronze Member on May. 17, 2013 at 10:31 AM

My son was like that.  He was one of the worst toddlers I've ever seen and my in-laws say the same thing.  Nothing I did phased him.  I would warn him not to do something and as soon as he did it he would put himself in time out or whatever he knew the consequense was.  The bright side?  The consistency worked and now his teachers tell me he's one of the best behaved first grade boys in his class.  It took until he was about 4 years old for it to kick in.  Keep it up momma!  You're doing fine!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)