Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

30 Something Moms 30 Something Moms

Detox whilst breastfeeding

Posted by on May. 19, 2013 at 8:23 AM
  • 5 Replies
Has anyone detoxed whilst breast feeding? There is conflicting info on the net and wondered if anyone had personal experience? I was thinking of even just cutting out sugar, caffeine and bad carbs to start. I want to feel not so sluggish and hopefully loose a few kilos

Thanks
by on May. 19, 2013 at 8:23 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
12yrmama
by Bronze Member on May. 19, 2013 at 2:06 PM

I would slowly wean off the foods you don't want to eat, be sure to replace them with good things. You do need to keep up your calories while breastfeeding!

I never tried anything extreme (weight loss/diet) while bfing. Most doctors agree to take you time losing weight post baby and to balance your foods for the bfing.

Gooberzilla
by Member on May. 19, 2013 at 4:56 PM

You want to avoid doing any sort of "detox" while breastfeeding.  When your body starts to shed toxins it WILL come out in breastmilk.  However, cutting out sugar and caffeine is not a bad idea and your body won't have a huge reaction to it.  Look at changing to a higher (not HIGH) protein diet-like a mediterranean based diet, with good fats and lots of greens.  If you are feeling really sluggish, have your doc check your thyroid levels and your B12, iron and vit D levels.  Make sure you are getting enough sleep-even with breastfeeding you should be getting 7-9 hours of sleep every day, even if those hours are broken.  Try to exercise (I know it is easier said than done, I definitely did not get enough exercise when I had a little baby) - exercise will do a lot to help you have more energy.  Good luck.

sdgd21
by Diana on May. 19, 2013 at 5:51 PM
The body is always detoxing. But a rapid detox is not recommend. And don't take anything to aid in the detox process, just eat 'cleaner'.
wonderw78
by on May. 19, 2013 at 6:32 PM
I agree with them, just watch your diet, I know that u r desperate to lose the weight, but just b more patient ! N u will b able to do that after u r done breastfeeding! Besides, if u need to breast feed, n u starve yourself like that, then u not only gonna lose weight, but u r gonna cause health problems on your self, like anemia, vitamin deficiency , lack of calcium, among others, u really don't wanna do that, in the long run, u would regret it, take care
Moof4boys
by on May. 19, 2013 at 6:42 PM
Thanks for the responses everyone, it helps :-)
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)