Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

30 Something Moms 30 Something Moms

Opinions - Baby not interested in eating.

Posted by on May. 19, 2013 at 11:34 PM
  • 13 Replies

My youngest is 4 months, I have a feeling she just doesn't like formula? She is 13 1/2 pounds and was born at 8 pounds. At her 4 month check up last week she is still eating 2-3 ounces every 3-4 hours which is under what she is "suppose" to be eating. When I feed her, she just stares off at the ceiling or fan, she use to stare at me but she doesn't anymore. After a couple ounces she just loses interest and I kind of have to just keep sticking the bottle in her mouth over and over again. I did get a prescription for zantac last week and I started giving that to her 2x a day ( she has had it for 4 days so far) it hasn't seemed to do much yet, I have noticed the coughing after burping stopped and she didn't get hiccups at all today. But her eating hasn't changed yet. Has anyone experienced anything like this? Am I doing something wrong? We've went through every bottle on the market, changed formulas about 10 times. I have started her on cereal 1x a day mixed with a veggie and she loves it. 

Thoughts? 

by on May. 19, 2013 at 11:34 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ardiaxe
by Member on May. 20, 2013 at 1:17 AM
2 moms liked this
Oh yes I've been there, but it was with breastfeeding, my daughter was never hungry and grew very slowly, she was smaller than yours at 4 months. I decide to just pump and bottle feed because I wanted to see how little she was eating, it was only 2 oz at a time. I offered constantly and she refused. I was so jealous of all of the verocious babies that could down 6 oz and want more lol.
Anyway, at 1 yr she was 18 lbs, still only wanting 2-3 oz at a time and had no interest in solids. She just wasn't an eater and was destined to be small, at 2.5, she is 24lbs, adorably petite, never wanted cows milk, so she just drinks water and eats solids. She really started picking up on eating like a normal child at about 18 months.
If I could do it all over again, I would worry so much less and just let her be, the anxiety I put myself through over the bits she took in wasn't worth it. I also did reflux medication thinking that must be it, but it just wasn't and took her off of it at 15 months.
Your daughter knows how much she needs in order to grow however big she's going to be. Biologically it makes more sense for a 4 month old to take in 2-3oz at a time rather than 6-8. Don't worry at all, 13lbs at 4 months is a really good weight.
ardiaxe
by Member on May. 20, 2013 at 1:22 AM
1 mom liked this
Also wanted to add that sticking the bottle into her mouth without her wanting it can lead to feeding aversion, you do not want that, and it can make her hate eating. Let her lead the eating process so that she enjoys it.
JasonsMom2007
by Lisa on May. 20, 2013 at 1:22 AM
1 mom liked this
Unless she starts to lose weight or not gain I wouldn't worry. Formula has way more calories than cereals and veggies so you might cut that out. It's still really early for that at 4 months.
My ds was 16 lbs at 1 year and my dd was 17 lbs at 1 year. Your 4 month old is just a few pounds from my 1 year olds! She might be between growth spurts right now.
Mama110981
by Member on May. 20, 2013 at 1:24 AM
Is she in zantac for gerd?
opinionatedmom
by on May. 20, 2013 at 1:26 AM
1 mom liked this
Totally agree she will eat when she is hungry.

Quoting JasonsMom2007:

Unless she starts to lose weight or not gain I wouldn't worry. Formula has way more calories than cereals and veggies so you might cut that out. It's still really early for that at 4 months.

My ds was 16 lbs at 1 year and my dd was 17 lbs at 1 year. Your 4 month old is just a few pounds from my 1 year olds! She might be between growth spurts right now.
LisaCunning
by on May. 20, 2013 at 7:02 AM

Thanks for the replies. I do stress myself over this. I need to stop, or figure out how to stop. I have an 11 yr old daughter too and I remember she would want to eat constantly! I could stop with the cereal but she loves it so much, maybe I will just cut back on the amount. 

The zantac is for gerd. If nothing changes in 2 weeks of her being on the meds the dr said it probably isn't gerd. We are on day 5 now. 

Karen_29
by on May. 20, 2013 at 8:33 AM
2 moms liked this

I went throught his with my youngest son who is now 12. He had a stroke when he was born but is ok now physically and mentally. I went through so many different formulas thinking he just didnt like them. To find out he had acid reflux bad so the dr put him on zantac and reglan before he eats and it worked miracles!! I would talk to your dr and see what they say.

KylesMom409
by Linnette on May. 20, 2013 at 8:37 AM
1 mom liked this
I agree as well.

Quoting opinionatedmom:

Totally agree she will eat when she is hungry.

Quoting JasonsMom2007:

12yrmama
by Bronze Member on May. 20, 2013 at 9:10 PM
1 mom liked this

Yeah, let feeding time by on her terms and try to de-stress while feeding her. Just like a nursing mom&baby, she can sense your stress. My first two are 10 yrs apart and totally defferent eaters. It drove me crazy. Until I stopped expecting #2 to be like #1. When I saw her as 'separate' from him I saw she was a great, eager baby. She too, preferred baby food instead of milk.

Quoting LisaCunning:

Thanks for the replies. I do stress myself over this. I need to stop, or figure out how to stop. I have an 11 yr old daughter too and I remember she would want to eat constantly! I could stop with the cereal but she loves it so much, maybe I will just cut back on the amount. 

The zantac is for gerd. If nothing changes in 2 weeks of her being on the meds the dr said it probably isn't gerd. We are on day 5 now. 

strugglingmomx3
by on May. 21, 2013 at 1:52 AM
1 mom liked this

have here evaluated by an occupational therapist, my daughter had this problem some children have issues with the way that they suckle and it is quite possible that she is positioning her mouth so as she is also sucking in air bubbles more so though than your average occaisional air bubble which are easily burped out. We too like u had tried every bottle on the market she seemed to do best on goodstart in orange can for sensetive tummies, also how are you making the bottle i had been shaking the bottles up as i had seen others do but when i read the can closer i discovered u stir it shaking causes excess bubbles and my daughter could not take that with the wrong suckling position too she was full of air. occupational therapist will evaluate whether her suckling position is correct and also can check the stregnth of the tongue ect... i hope this info may help you GOD BLESS!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN