Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

30 Something Moms 30 Something Moms

Grass question...

Posted by on May. 20, 2013 at 12:56 AM
  • 9 Replies

Does anyone know how to get grass to grow in a rocky yard? My husband and I bought a house almost 4 years ago and it was a foreclosed home so the yard wasn't taken care of. We tried hydro seed but the night we had it sprayed we had a freak rainstorm and it washed all the seed to the back of the yard. We have tried seeding our self this spring but nothing is growing :( It has become (or always has been) a problem with one of our neighbors and he turned us into the city. Now we have 14 days to landscape our yard. We can't afford sod. I just don't know where to go from here. 

by on May. 20, 2013 at 12:56 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
morning_glories
by Member on May. 20, 2013 at 5:26 AM
Is your yard blocked by trees? Sometimes trees may also under the growth of grasss. When you seeded your yard did you put a layer of straw over it? The straw not only keeps the seed from washing away but will also create a sort of top soil.

Good luck :)
nurse1997
by on May. 20, 2013 at 6:47 PM

Call a Landscaping company in your area they will give you the best advice on your style of yard ;]

SweetMama823
by Bronze Member on May. 20, 2013 at 8:29 PM

We bought soil and spread it out evenly then went to Lowe's and bought a pallet of grass and layed it out. We water it twice a day and its taking very well. Though the grass can get pricey call your local landscaping co they probably have better deal and can even deliver.  Good Luck!

LivinDeadGurl
by Maranda on May. 20, 2013 at 10:29 PM

Try picking up some compost at Home Depot. Lay down a thin layer of it and then add the seed to the top. The compost will have the nutrients that your rocky soil won't. Also see what is the best kind of grass for your yard.

CatFishMom
by on May. 20, 2013 at 10:33 PM

Turned you in for what? Not growing grass? Thats stupid. Im sorry! Unfortunately, no advice from here, I dont care if grass grows on my lawn or not-we just make sure to keep it cut.

ooCherryo0
by on Jun. 7, 2013 at 3:20 PM

For not having our yard landscaped.... I guess my city is big on that and we were supposed to have it done within the first 18 months of living here. No one ever told us. Well not we have criminal charges brought against us (for our friggin yard)!!! Guess we'll have to take proof we are working on it. It's not like grass grows over night.

Kind of an up date... We did go get more seed and got some soil to put on after laying the seed. We got a little grass growing. 

Quoting CatFishMom:

Turned you in for what? Not growing grass? Thats stupid. Im sorry! Unfortunately, no advice from here, I dont care if grass grows on my lawn or not-we just make sure to keep it cut.

Jinxed8
by Gold Member on Jun. 7, 2013 at 3:24 PM

you have to spread a generous amount of dirt / earth then seed, and water.  They sell some seed that grows anywhere, on anything or your money back.  They have it at home depot

anotherandree
by Inga on Jun. 7, 2013 at 3:32 PM

Do you have to have grass?  Or are you in a desert area when rocks are acceptable?  If that is the case, then don't fight what is already there and just add more rocks, so plants that don't require that much water and voila! Desert landscaping! 

However, if you have to have grass, then you are going to have to spring for the topsoil.  Get equal amounts of rich topsoil and compost/manure (whatever is cheaper or on sale).  Mix that in with your existing soil.  (Yep, ALOT of work.)  Evenly add the seed.  Like someone else said, add straw.  You will loose about half of your seed to birds and the straw will help with that.  FOLLOW THE DIRECTIONS on the bag of seed as to watering.  I know that yo are trying to save money, but do not skimp.  If you do it right, you only have to do it once.

Thunderbug75
by on Jun. 8, 2013 at 9:51 AM

I would just get a load of pea gravel and spread it all over!  Grass is over rated. LOL

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN