Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

30 Something Moms 30 Something Moms

How do you store your kids' photos?

I'm 37 and have one child. He may end up being my only. (Hope not, but ya never know.) We take WAY TOO MANY pics of this kid! DH made a comment that there are probably more pics in existence of ds now than have ever existed of dh. I'm sure this is true for most kids of this generation. My question is: How do you organize your kids pics? Website? flash drives? Hard drive? What's the "best" way? The way things are now my son is going to have pics of him all over in random places. I'd rather have one location for everything. I really like Dropbox but I don't want to pay $9.99/month to keep it going. Thanks!
by on May. 20, 2013 at 9:19 PM
Replies (11-20):
countrymomma81
by Platinum Member on May. 21, 2013 at 1:30 PM

I store them on my computer but they are all backed up on cd's and I also have them all on flashdrives that we keep in a fire safety box. I also scanned all of our Social Security cards, birth certificates, marriage license and DH and my diplomas and other certificates we've got. 

12yrmama
by Bronze Member on May. 21, 2013 at 1:38 PM

My first kid had a billion pics.. sleeping, eating, different outfits, bath, outside, inside, reading... It was before I got techno-savy, so I just printed them, put favorites in his album, and dumped the rest in a photo box.

Now my younger two have all their pics online, just saved in the computer. I hate it. I never bother to print all my favorites and their baby books are way behind. Plus if anything happened to my computer I would die of a broken heart!

I'm slowly organizing them into better folders and saving onto a flash drive (one per child) and then making a backup flash drive for our lock-box. (flash drives are cheap enough) I'm saving $ to print them ALL. I like having them in my hands so much better!

SuperPickle
by Silver Member on May. 21, 2013 at 1:51 PM

I have tons of photos on there from as far back as 01 and I havent had any issues.

Quoting supermillerMom:

I have both a shutterfly and snapfish account. Are they unlimited storage?

Quoting SuperPickle:

I have online storage(Shutterfly is free and easy), flash drives and CD's organized by year (make sure to have a CD or online storage, flash drives can be erased easily, especially if as they get older. The should not be considered permanant storage!)

storkradio193
by on May. 21, 2013 at 4:52 PM

I have mine saved in folders based on year and month on my computer and a backup hard drive.  There are many sites that give you free backup storage, but usually only give you 5GBs.  With videos and modern high res pics it does not take long to have more than 5gbs though.

http://www.cafemom.com/home/storkradio193

JasonsMom2007
by Lisa on May. 21, 2013 at 10:22 PM

They are on my hard drive, external hard drive, then 2 sets of dvd-rs one here and one at my mom's house (because she wants all of the pictures anyways).  I've lost pictures in the past so I'm parinoid now!

I also try to keep up on scrapbooking my favorites but I'm behind on that.

Kara242
by on May. 21, 2013 at 10:24 PM

I have a bunch printed out but most of them are on disk. Each kid has numberous disks. I have 5000 pics of just my son and his first year of life :(

e-doolittle
by Kelly on May. 21, 2013 at 11:55 PM
Computer and backed up on an external hard drive
TXMOMMY23
by on May. 22, 2013 at 7:29 AM

after having 2 computers with my pictures on it crash and not able to retrieve the pictures i now only store mine on a external website... ex: shutterfly or dropbox

i really like dropbox because when you take a picture using your phone it is automatically uploaded to dropbox. and i have never had to pay for it. and i have had it for a year now. 

but my main photo saving places are

1. photobucket

2. shutterfly

3. dropbox

i also do have cds and  usb drives but its so hard to keep up with what each disc or drive holds 

im not creative by any means but i do make a mini-scrap book of my sons school year each year.

Pink.Sunshine.
by on May. 22, 2013 at 10:11 AM

on Photobucket and my flash drive. I do not own a paper pic.

Marz31
by Silver Member on May. 22, 2013 at 10:59 AM

My family setup a phanfare (. com) account a few years ago, I think if you pay for a year up front, it's like $5 a month, but you can not only store all your photos, but setup publicly viewable pages (either without a password or with) and let people see pictures you want them to (you can sort however you want). there's a program on your computer, there are apps for every device and storage is unlimited. I think you may also be able to setup like a storefront if you had that type of photos and there's also products like books that you can order and it's SO easy to get them all polished up and made. it's pretty slick, but I don't hear many people using it, but you should check it out. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN