Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

30 Something Moms 30 Something Moms

Tattoo question....

Posted by on May. 22, 2013 at 1:54 AM
  • 58 Replies
1 mom liked this

I am getting my first tattoo designed. I always said if I got a tattoo that it would be something to do with my kids. So I am planning on having my tattoo be a rose vine up my leg (approx. 24 inches long) with each of my children ( we have 8) having their own rose and then roses at the top for me and SO. The banner will have the family name in it.  I will show you a very rough draft of it. My question is...Should I start with a smaller tattoo to be my first? I was told that it would be hours of sitting and take more than one sitting. My problem is I don't want another tattoo. This is the only tattoo I plan on getting. Any input would be nice. :) Thanks.

I see a lot of the same concerns about the artist. My SO has severral tattoos and some verry intricate. I will be using the same artist he uses since I have seen and really like his work. Once I have the design done then I will see about cost. I know it may be pricy but in the end well worth it. :)

**Update**-This is the lay out of what the tattoo will look like. 

by on May. 22, 2013 at 1:54 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ruby_jewel_04
by Member on May. 22, 2013 at 2:15 AM
Well if it's the only tattoo your going to get, I say go for it if you love it. my birthday was today, and I'm getting my tattoo for my kids (we have 4) as my present this week. I'm super exited. Mine looks nothing like yours. But I like your design too!
JasonsMom2007
by Lisa on May. 22, 2013 at 2:17 AM
I know nothing about them. Hope you get some good advice!
TroyboysMom
by on May. 22, 2013 at 3:10 AM
1 mom liked this

A tattoo like that would be very involved, and would likely take more than one or two sittings to accomplish. It would also be pricy - so you may want to take that into account. If that is the only one you want, though, research it and go for it. 

Shaylyn318
by on May. 22, 2013 at 9:02 AM

Make sure you go to a good artist too. Look at reviews on the place and check their work to make sure it is the quality you want.

Jinxed8
by Gold Member on May. 22, 2013 at 9:46 AM
1 mom liked this

Well I'm not convinced that this will take more than one sitting.  It all depends on your tattoo artist - My BFF and I both have tattoos of similar details and size.  My tattoo artist did mine is less than 3 hours, her guy did it in almost 5 hours .... that's a huge difference right there.  Also please please check your artist's port folio, references etc You're getting this, you want to be 100% happy because you'll be carrying this for the rest of your life !

natbaj
by on May. 22, 2013 at 10:16 AM

If this is the only one, the ask to do half one time and the other half another time because YES it does require hours of sitting. I had my back done and it took 2 sessions a total of 4 hours each time.... but if I could I would personally get it all done in one go :)

KylesMom409
by Linnette on May. 22, 2013 at 10:24 AM
1 mom liked this
Definitely.

Quoting Shaylyn318:

Make sure you go to a good artist too. Look at reviews on the place and check their work to make sure it is the quality you want.

Shaylyn318
by on May. 22, 2013 at 10:28 AM
3 moms liked this

Oh and make sure the spelling is right before the ink starts. LOL

stormygirl35
by on May. 22, 2013 at 10:37 AM
I agree with the others that say to make sure you check the credibility of the person doing the work. You don't want to be stuck with a hunk of flash work on your leg the rest of your life. Details and shadow work is what makes a tattoo come to life. With that being said a piece that size will take some time and if you have a true artist running on you their will be a lot of detail which will add a lot more time. If you are set in stone about only getting one tattoo then go for it but prepare yourself that once you start you can't back out. And if you have trouble with needles or pain then I would not go for a piece so big at first. My dh is a tattoo artist so I personally know how these things go. Feel free to message me if you have any questions. Just remember...research, detail, and have fun, then enjoy your new work of art! Good luck!
carakitty
by Bronze Member on May. 22, 2013 at 12:49 PM

I totally agree to research the cost of this large design, and the tatoo artist and their studio first. Look at lots of studio's work, and get lots of estimates. This is a permanent life time investment! =)

I think a design like this probably will be broken up into more than one sitting. You'll probably get the black done and the large green sections too perhaps, then the other colors and shading.

Good luck and I hope you're happy with the end result! Please post pics?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)