Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

30 Something Moms 30 Something Moms

Money is Tight

Posted by on May. 22, 2013 at 1:50 PM
  • 14 Replies

Since becoming a SAHM we've had to be more careful with spending our money (not eating out as much, not buying frivolous things etc). Lately I've really been feeling the PINCH. My credit card statements are more than the money I bring in tutoring/babysitting. Any ideas for making extra cash? What about for dealing with friends/couples who always want to go DO things (go out to eat, get pedicures etc). I hate having to say I'm broke and can't go.

by on May. 22, 2013 at 1:50 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
LuLuRex
by Bronze Member on May. 22, 2013 at 4:42 PM

Since you babysit is there any more kids you could watch to make some extra money?

My friend recently lost her job and is selling Origami Owl to bring in extra cash.

soymujer
by Gold Member on May. 22, 2013 at 5:05 PM
2 moms liked this

You should check out Dave Ramsey.  He has a great budget plan.

mamadee2012
by on May. 22, 2013 at 5:08 PM

If you are really serious about making extra cash please send me a message! I am a stay at home mother of 4 and I personally had tried everything until I found this in November of 2012! I have not looked back once it changed me physically and financially and I love what I do everyday! Hope to hear from you!

sdgd21
by Diana on May. 23, 2013 at 12:05 AM
I am a a stay-at-home mom, and we are also self-employed. There are times when the money's good, and time when it's not. I think that the main thing is do your best to try to live beneath your means and sometimes it's hard. But it makes up for a lot less stress.
e-doolittle
by Kelly on May. 23, 2013 at 12:44 AM
Good luck ! Here's a bump
carakitty
by Bronze Member on May. 24, 2013 at 12:11 PM
1 mom liked this

Sorry, I don't have any extra cash tips like work from home stuff or anything like that.

I have learned to improvise: Friend wants to do a Starbucks date? Brew the coffee at home and jazz it up how ever you can with what you have at home. Friend invites you to the salon? Find a sitter for the kids and have an in-home pampering session.

Yes, it involves a lot of DIY sometimes but it is far less expensive than going out and sometimes setting these things up can be just as much fun as the event itself! Best wishes!

IQuitCounting
by Bronze Member on May. 24, 2013 at 12:20 PM

I would also look at where else you can cut money.  For example even just running your wash on cold or turning the dry option off on your DW can help save on your electric bill.  Grocery bills are a good place to look for things you can trim back on too, alcohol for one can be a huge money eater.  Cupon cut, looks for sales, etc.

Jinxed8
by Gold Member on May. 24, 2013 at 1:26 PM
2 moms liked this

live on cash only - that way when you have none, you have none, period.   Cook in bulk & freeze or can, , buy in bulk. Buy no name brands, coupon, look for sales, buy off the liquidation rack.  Cut out eating out or if eating out get the cheaper items on the menu, don't buy beverages - they are very overpriced.  

Crissy2424
by Bronze Member on May. 24, 2013 at 10:31 PM

Just see where you can cut back. Also, like another poster said, have friends over. Maybe google some fun games or activities you can do with your friends at home. Cut coupons, etc. *hugs* We are in the same spot too!

mumsy2three
by Shauna on May. 24, 2013 at 10:34 PM

I was going to suggest what has already been said, see if there is anywhere you can trim your budget. Good luck.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)