Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

30 Something Moms 30 Something Moms

BP Oil Spill Claim Scammers

Posted by on May. 22, 2013 at 5:00 PM
  • 11 Replies
1 mom liked this

Our family businesses were affected by the oil spill, just like a lot of other businesses. One business is in the process, one is trying to get the rest of the paperwork together for a lawyer and the other hasn't thought about making one.

BUT!!! Last week I took a call at my job for my Grandfather wanting to talk to him about his BP claim that he had filed (from the business that doesn't have all their paperwork just yet). So I politely told them "Sorry, but Granddaddy has been dead and in the ground for 5 years, so I don't know why he would care about money. But, I would love to have your information so that my brother & SIL can give it to their lawyer so that he and your business can talk about their claim"... CLICK. Yea, that's what I thought.

Then today I get a call for my oldest brother.. nothing about his business or his name would make you think that he is family to the other two businesses.. so why call my job? Anyway, so the lady asked for him and I asked where she was from.. of course she gave no name or business name "I just wanted to talk to him about his BP claim that he filed." So I asked where she got the number that she had called seeing as he doesn't use our information for anything, "Oh, I think his representative had put it in as his main contact number", and she was a bit hesitant and got a bit giggly. So I asked what other number she had for him so that I could verify if it was correct or not because it would nice to get him on the right track *wink wink* Total silence and then the "Uh, um, huh, um" So I politely told her that my brother had never made a claim and never will and if she called this number again that we would prosecute. (Which I can't .. but they don't always know that.) She got a bit flustered not knowing what to say anymore so I hung up.

I guess it's just a friendly heads up .. if someone is calling in regards to a claim (whether you know for sure or not) .. don't give it out any information what so ever!! Get as much out of them as you can!! If they can't give you a business name, phone number and address .. you or a family member are about to get screwed!!

by on May. 22, 2013 at 5:00 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
melissa632
by on May. 22, 2013 at 5:06 PM
Thanks for the heads up. I'm in Gulfport. There are a lot of BP claim scams now. It's such a shame that people try to scam others. We've got a lot of counterfeit bills running through here right now too. I never had a cashier check a $5 bill until yesterday.
Garnet_Iris11
by Bronze Member on May. 22, 2013 at 5:11 PM

It's just ridiculous!! Found out that an old friend of mine got a call from these people.. showed a local number to the Tampa Bay and ends up they were in a totally different state!! (He's a smooth talker and got that much out of the guy but no more since he was catching on that my friend new he was a scammer.)

My 92 y/o Grandmother got a call from them about a month or so ago.. she's so damn deaf she couldn't hear the person and told them to piss off since they were wasting her reading time.

Quoting melissa632:

Thanks for the heads up. I'm in Gulfport. There are a lot of BP claim scams now. It's such a shame that people try to scam others. We've got a lot of counterfeit bills running through here right now too. I never had a cashier check a $5 bill until yesterday.

melissa632
by on May. 22, 2013 at 5:18 PM
I think I love your grandmother...lol!

And I'm not suprised calls are coming out of Florida. I never met more scammers in my life than when I lived there. I even quit my job there because morally, I couldn't do it.

Quoting Garnet_Iris11:

It's just ridiculous!! Found out that an old friend of mine got a call from these people.. showed a local number to the Tampa Bay and ends up they were in a totally different state!! (He's a smooth talker and got that much out of the guy but no more since he was catching on that my friend new he was a scammer.)

My 92 y/o Grandmother got a call from them about a month or so ago.. she's so damn deaf she couldn't hear the person and told them to piss off since they were wasting her reading time.

Quoting melissa632:

conniejo75
by Bronze Member on May. 22, 2013 at 5:20 PM
2 moms liked this
Good reminder especially for those affected by tornadoes recently
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
countrymomma81
by Platinum Member on May. 22, 2013 at 5:28 PM
1 mom liked this

Oh wow. What a shame people can't go out and make their own money...they have to scam it from others. 

I'm in South Louisiana and my husband got laid off due to the oil spill but work was slow already so we didn't get any compensation or anything. He's been back to work for a few years now and I'm happy to say it didn't affect us much at all besides that. 

Garnet_Iris11
by Bronze Member on May. 22, 2013 at 7:23 PM
Oh my Granny is a friggin hoot!! She'll be super sweet and everything, then surprise you with a good line out of the blue.

We get a lot of scam calls, emails and faxes at my job.. we catch them pretty quick and if we can pass along any information that we can to the police.

Quoting melissa632:

And I'm not suprised calls are coming out of Florida. I never met more scammers in my life than when I lived there. I even quit my job there because morally, I couldn't do it.

Quoting Garnet_Iris11:

Quoting melissa632:

Garnet_Iris11
by Bronze Member on May. 22, 2013 at 7:26 PM
Exactly, it's just pitiful.

We're a small business, a lot of our customers stopped using us or had to scale down with us.. we nearly closed but decided to scale dowb ourselves considerablly. We couldn't fire our staff because of how well and how hard they worked. Tough decisions to make. Glad your huby found new work :-)

Quoting countrymomma81:

Oh wow. What a shame people can't go out and make their own money...they have to scam it from others. 

I'm in South Louisiana and my husband got laid off due to the oil spill but work was slow already so we didn't get any compensation or anything. He's been back to work for a few years now and I'm happy to say it didn't affect us much at all besides that. 

melissa632
by on May. 22, 2013 at 8:31 PM
I bet I would get a kick out of her. I love spunky old ladies. I'm gonna be one if I make it that far...lol.

And yeah, scamming seems to just be a way of life for some people. I can't do it. I was managing a trailer park for a little while. They owned multiple parks and boy do they have a racket going. And these people that take our senior citizens money while giving them empty promises. I don't know how people sleep at night.

Quoting Garnet_Iris11:

Oh my Granny is a friggin hoot!! She'll be super sweet and everything, then surprise you with a good line out of the blue.

We get a lot of scam calls, emails and faxes at my job.. we catch them pretty quick and if we can pass along any information that we can to the police.

Quoting melissa632:

Quoting Garnet_Iris11:

Quoting melissa632:

countrymomma81
by Platinum Member on May. 22, 2013 at 9:12 PM

I'm sorry you all had to go through that due to someone else's carelessness. Natural disasters are one thing. That was just horrible. 

Quoting Garnet_Iris11:

Exactly, it's just pitiful.

We're a small business, a lot of our customers stopped using us or had to scale down with us.. we nearly closed but decided to scale dowb ourselves considerablly. We couldn't fire our staff because of how well and how hard they worked. Tough decisions to make. Glad your huby found new work :-)

Quoting countrymomma81:

sdgd21
by Diana on May. 23, 2013 at 12:09 AM
It's sad how low people will sink...
Thanks for the heads up.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)