Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

30 Something Moms 30 Something Moms

Does your family follow a routine? PIOG

Posted by on May. 24, 2013 at 10:26 AM
  • 17 Replies

I have a very specific and detailed daily, weekly, and monthly set routine. This includes basic cleaning, deep cleaning, grocery shopping, etc. I do a load of laundry each day. * years ago I was diagnosed with a moderate form of Obsessive Compulsive Disorder. I have discovered though trial and error that the only way for me to cope and avoid compulsive behavior as much as possible is to stick to a rigid routine. 

By having my days mapped out even if I get sick and miss a day or my life gets very stressful I have a routine to fall back on and it is easier to accept the set back and move onwith structure.

I have started to see my kids pick up the coping habits I have. My son(9) developed his own morning, afternoon, and bedtime routines so that it helped him remember everything. They are under sheet protectors in his binder so that he can cross of with a dry erase just like mama.

My daughter(6) is only really disiplined about her bedtime routine. She starts with picking up her room, then 15 min of yoga. Then she puts on her pj's, brushes her teeth, and washes her face. Story time and lullabys lasts about 30 min then its potty and tuck in.

Check out the updates from The Asylum!!

http://asylumpeacekeeper.blogspot.com

by on May. 24, 2013 at 10:26 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Jinxed8
by Gold Member on May. 24, 2013 at 11:37 AM

We have a routine but it's not on an "army type schedule" DD functions really well in a routine. Our house goes something like this  : 

• DD wakes up between 6h30am & 7am
  • She watches TV while getting dressed and ready for school,
  • 7h15-20 she eats her breakfast
  • 7h35am she's out the door - bus passes at 7h40am
  • We eat dinner between 5h30pm and 6h00pm
  • 6h30pm to 7pm is homework
  • 7pm to 7h30pm is shower / get ready for bed for DD
  • 7h30pm to 8pm she winds down in her room ; TV, book, toy
  • 8h00pm lights out
staci1103
by on May. 24, 2013 at 11:43 AM
I wish cause I have OCD as well but we have a blended family of 4 kids and one on the way. Plus one 11 day old grandbaby so kids r always coming and going. I myself have my own system but as far as a family schedule nope
emarin77
by Bronze Member on May. 24, 2013 at 11:58 AM

I praise you that you found something thats helps you stick with your routine. 

My son and I have a routine in the morning to make sure my son gets on the bus to preschool.  When I start working again I will write up a routine too to remember my tasks.  I have Central Auditory Processing disorder and my short term memory can be effected.

Pukalani79
by Kris on May. 24, 2013 at 12:50 PM

We have very loose routines

isaacsmommy68
by Member on May. 24, 2013 at 1:00 PM
2 moms liked this

I try! Do I get points for that? I get everything ready the night before. So I kind of have a night time routine. We have a bed time routine too (most of the time, but we are all in bed by 930-10pm).

dommad2
by Member on May. 24, 2013 at 3:46 PM
Thank you. I went through a very difficult period where my home was either so clean you could eat off the floors or so messy I wouldn't let anyone over.

Quoting emarin77:

I praise you that you found something thats helps you stick with your routine. 

My son and I have a routine in the morning to make sure my son gets on the bus to preschool.  When I start working again I will write up a routine too to remember my tasks.  I have Central Auditory Processing disorder and my short term memory can be effected.

---terrah---
by on May. 24, 2013 at 4:37 PM

Well, I was diagnosed with OCD about 4 years ago after suffering most of my life. We have a routine but I try not to make it too rigid. Only because I have a 5 year old, but also a new baby. So I know that my life right now is full of craziness. Once my baby gets a little older we'll have more of a routine...especially this fall when my DS starts kindergarten.

I find that the best way for me to keep my sanity is to keep my house organized. That really helps me deal with my OCD. I guess it "mentally soothes" me:)

storkradio193
by on May. 24, 2013 at 4:41 PM

We have routines around certain events like wakeup, naptime and bedtime, but not for things like groceries.  I try and do some household work on a schedule, but our schedule can vary.  

http://www.cafemom.com/home/storkradio193

JasonsMom2007
by Lisa on May. 24, 2013 at 4:44 PM

My son does to an extent.  

Kara242
by on May. 24, 2013 at 6:05 PM

Only thing we have set is homework is to be done right after school, then ds does his chores.  Then kids do their own thing till its time for dinner and girls do their chores. After dinner kids to anything till 8 and the youngest 2 take showers, pick out next days clothes read, watch tv or what ever. They have to be in bed by 930 and get 30 min of tv

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN