Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Encouraging Excercise

Posted by on May. 24, 2013 at 12:55 PM
Ivy
  • 5 Replies

How do you encourage your children to excercise - and to enjoy doing it?  My kids are fairly active but we wanted to start excercising as a family.  We decided that we would take daily walks.  At first there was a lot of complaining, but last night we came up with an incentive that they are pretty excited about.  They have been challenged to walk 100 miles by Labor Day (which is a little less than a mile a day).  If they can do it, we'll have t-shirts made and have some sort of big celebration.  In the meantime we'll do smaller incentives: when they all reach certain distances, we'll go out and do some fun like bowling or swimming or something like that.  They're pretty excited about it, so hopefully this will work.

by on May. 24, 2013 at 12:55 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
SuperPickle
by Gold Member on May. 24, 2013 at 1:03 PM

My kids are super active it is hard to keep up with them LOL. We are a huge biking family, DHs main mode of transportation is biking so the kids all got into that quickly. We hope to tackle the Olympic Discovery trail as a family someday. It is about 130 miles long.

We live in an area that is fantastic for hiking, TONS of trails.

We often go out and play sports together(informal of course) football, baseball, lacrosse, soccer.

Jinxed8
by Platinum Member on May. 24, 2013 at 1:28 PM

we walk as a family as well, the "magic" thing for us has been the pool we got put in last year.  Every night we jump in there 1 hour after dinner we play games like tag, races, etc

mcginnisc
by on May. 24, 2013 at 1:41 PM

My girls love to play outside, but it is now just too hot outside, so I'm limiting it slightly. They ride their scooters, play ball, hula hoop, jump rope ( try to anyway), go to karate 3-4x per week each,  play on the swingset, and well, Dh and I are very active so it just has rubbed off on the girls. We are both runners, and we both go to the gym a lot.. I'm getting my Personal Trainer Certifications so it's just expected in our home to be active daily. 

Claire

" I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13 

Stephd710
by Bronze Member on May. 24, 2013 at 3:38 PM
1 mom liked this

My girls are 2.  I have to encourage them to STOP moving.  LOL! 

ambertreas76
by on May. 24, 2013 at 3:55 PM
Exercise doesn't need to be encouraged in my crazy house!!! The encouragement comes into account whenever they need to sit still!!!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)