Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

30 Something Moms 30 Something Moms

Need advice.. :(

Posted by on May. 24, 2013 at 2:19 PM
  • 18 Replies
Okay so this is my first real post.. I kinda just need to vent. I recently lost my job and I have two kids, 10 and 8. I have a partner who's working but does not make enough for all bills and expenses. I have been applying and although I am more qualified to stay in retail management, I am not completely happy in that field any longer. I want to be happy with what I do, and change career paths being more creative and more dealing with helping others. I love working with people and making people happy. I am not capable of going to school or take courses at the moment. Anyone have any good advice for me. I am totally willing to start from the bottom up as I have in the past being with one company for over 10 years. I'm beginning to get really worried and although she doesn't really say it, I know my partner is worrying as well. Don't want to dissappoint my family. Thanks for all those that took their time in reading this. Really trying to stay positive as I am usually the one comforting with a smile on my face.
by on May. 24, 2013 at 2:19 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
gophermommy
by on May. 24, 2013 at 2:37 PM

Sorry to hear. :(  What is it about retail you do not like?  What would you do in your "dream job?"

mamisosa
by on May. 24, 2013 at 2:45 PM
Quoting gophermommy:

Sorry to hear. :(  What is it about retail you do not like?  What would you do in your "dream job?"

I used to love retail. The ongoing tasks, making things look good and of course working with others. As my kids are getting older I want to spend more time with them. I want to feel useful other than making a company money. I know, I know its business. .lol well I want something more fulfilling. I would have my own 15 room hotel in a remote island location!! With awesome guest amenities and events for all. Provide a great experience for families/couples or anyone just looking for a break from reality.
Jinxed8
by Gold Member on May. 24, 2013 at 2:49 PM
2 moms liked this

I would go to an employment agency, sometimes they evaluate  your skills and personality and find good jobs suited to your needs and wants.  Sometimes even the unemployment office can help you ...

Karen_29
by on May. 24, 2013 at 3:34 PM
2 moms liked this

If you want to own your own hotel I would start working at a hotel front desk and see if you can be trained for management and work your way up. Good Luck!

---terrah---
by on May. 24, 2013 at 4:47 PM
1 mom liked this

This is good advice!!! You can start with an employment agency and see if they can't help you sort out exactly what it is that you want to do. It might give you a starting point on where to start looking. Depending on what you find out, you could see if maybe you could invest in some online classes at some point. Not right this moment, but maybe as your kids get even older and start doing things on their own.

Either that, or try to see if there are any job fairs around your area. They have them a few times a year around here. 

But if your real interest is in helping people, you could always try to get into a place like a senior center or something like that. I know around here, they hire a lot of people.

Quoting Jinxed8:

I would go to an employment agency, sometimes they evaluate  your skills and personality and find good jobs suited to your needs and wants.  Sometimes even the unemployment office can help you ...

C12H22O11addict
by on May. 24, 2013 at 5:10 PM
This!

Quoting Karen_29:

If you want to own your own hotel I would start working at a hotel front desk and see if you can be trained for management and work your way up. Good Luck!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mamisosa
by on May. 24, 2013 at 5:11 PM
Thank you so much for everyone's advice! I did go online and started applying at hotels, even if it is entry level. Gotta start somewhere! I think eventually I will take online classes tho. Really want tobe more involved. Once I get a job of course...... :/ just a little scary getting into something new when you have people counting on you.
sdgd21
by Diana on May. 24, 2013 at 10:20 PM
I agree. And sorry.

Quoting C12H22O11addict:

This!

Quoting Karen_29:

Crissy2424
by Bronze Member on May. 24, 2013 at 10:23 PM
2 moms liked this

Keep checking the newspaper, job websites, etc. Maybe something will jump out at you. Also, don't be afraid to check out local temp agencies too. Good luck!

mumsy2three
by Shauna on May. 24, 2013 at 10:31 PM

This~

Quoting Karen_29:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)