Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

**ETA** My landlords bandaid solution to a busted AC unit until tomorrow afternoon

Posted by on May. 24, 2013 at 10:37 PM
  • 11 Replies

Mobile Photo

We've had issues with our AC for over 2 years.. during every friggin season. The landlord has some guy come and "work" on it and talk to us like we're idiots. Um, sorry, we live here and this or that happens with the AC, not our fault you don't understand what we're telling/showing you, nor is it our fault you have way "fix" something and use old parts.

Every now and again the fan won't work, but you can hear the compressor trying to work. Kick it and it starts. Lovely, fix it! Nope.

So today I come home after being gone for nearly 10 hours, house feels a little warm so I adjust the thermostat. A few minutes later I hear a horrible sound outside. It's the AC, kick it like usual, nothing. Walk around it and there is so much heat coming from it. So I turn it off and text the landlords wife. She calls and asks me questions from their handyman. Says she will get him out in the morning. Told her no one will be here, that he can come after 3 when I get home from work. Said the windows were open, fans full blast and we should be OK.

Around 10 my landlord shows up with a fan and puts it on the AC. Says the compressor is too hot and this would help. Um, you don't find this unsafe in any way? He seems to think there isn't much wrong with the unit, maybe needs to be recharged. Um, don't think so. More like a new compressor.

We live in Florida, it's mid to high 80's, some times low 90's and it's not even full swing summer!! I do believe our 1970 unit should be replaced. So, guess I get to wait and see when the guy comes tomorrow and tells me his usual BS. *sigh*

**ETA**
So I came home after closing my business Saturday.. waited 2 hours and nothing. SO said he'd wait for him and DD and I went to my Moms to visit.

I texted the landlords wife and asked when the guy was coming and she said "He's out of town? Husband worked on air handler last night." OK, because from what I understood the guy was coming for sure, and as much as I want to throw her husband under the bus, he didn't work on anything.

So here we are 3 days later.. and guess what.. the stupid fan doesn't help the comprressor or motor from not freezing up. Yesterday and today we've opened every window and turned the ceiling fans on. Do you think the landlord has come by, called, texted us to see how everything was going? Nope. Ugh, whatever.
by on May. 24, 2013 at 10:37 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
JasonsMom2007
by Lisa on May. 24, 2013 at 10:40 PM

LOL hubby is an HVAC tech I have to show him this one when he gets home.

I'm sorry you have to deal with that though :(  And yeah it's time for a replacement!

hburnette3
by on May. 24, 2013 at 10:44 PM
1 mom liked this

you can show your hubby for a laugh but even I can tell you that shit ain't right!!!!!!!!!!!!

laughing

Quoting JasonsMom2007:

I'm sorry you have to deal with that though :(  And yeah it's time for a replacement!

Garnet_Iris11
by Bronze Member on May. 24, 2013 at 10:45 PM
Kicker is, he's a retired firemen, he should know do's & don'ts you know.

SO used to clean ACs/duct work.. but this is beyond him. He looked at the landlord and rolled his eyes. When he left he asked if it caught on fire and/or the house if the landlord would reimburse/relocate us... oh I haven't laughed that hard since I accidentally flicked SO in the eye the other day.

Quoting JasonsMom2007:

JasonsMom2007
by Lisa on May. 24, 2013 at 10:46 PM
1 mom liked this

Oh yes the laugh is why I am showing him for sure.  Put the poor thing out of its misery already!

Quoting hburnette3:

you can show your hubby for a laugh but even I can tell you that shit ain't right!!!!!!!!!!!!

laughing

Quoting JasonsMom2007:

Being a full-time mother is one of the highest salaried jobs in my field, since the payment is pure love.  ~Mildred B. Vermont
Garnet_Iris11
by Bronze Member on May. 24, 2013 at 10:46 PM
Might I add.. he has it on 2 extension cords.

Quoting hburnette3:

laughing

Quoting JasonsMom2007:

Garnet_Iris11
by Bronze Member on May. 24, 2013 at 10:49 PM
I was near begging during the winter. For a few nights we were all in the same bed under so many blankets and a heater. They said the guy was fixing it.. yea.. ok. Gave us some BS line about wires coming loose at the board or some crap.. whatever ding dong.

Quoting JasonsMom2007:

Oh yes the laugh is why I am showing him for sure.  Put the poor thing out of its misery already!

Quoting hburnette3:

laughing

Quoting JasonsMom2007:

JasonsMom2007
by Lisa on May. 24, 2013 at 10:51 PM

Wow sounds like the owner has an agreement going with the tech to not replace that thing.  Are there any laws that protect you from this?

Quoting Garnet_Iris11:

I was near begging during the winter. For a few nights we were all in the same bed under so many blankets and a heater. They said the guy was fixing it.. yea.. ok. Gave us some BS line about wires coming loose at the board or some crap.. whatever ding dong.

Quoting JasonsMom2007:

Quoting hburnette3:

laughing

Quoting JasonsMom2007:

Being a full-time mother is one of the highest salaried jobs in my field, since the payment is pure love.  ~Mildred B. Vermont
Garnet_Iris11
by Bronze Member on May. 24, 2013 at 10:57 PM
The last time the guy came, he said the unit was too small for our house. I don't see how, it takes all of 12-15 normal strides to get from one side to the other of the house, going in any direction. (I have no clue what the square footage is.) We can go to the courts, but basically it's paying the courts until the landlord fixes the issue (as well ad paying the courts for their services), then they get the money. But at the same time, I think they can still evict the tennant. They've been awesome with SO's legal things over the years so I'd hate to have to do that to them. But still.. it has been a huge ongoing issue that you'd think they'd finally give in and just replace the darn thing.

Quoting JasonsMom2007:

Wow sounds like the owner has an agreement going with the tech to not replace that thing.  Are there any laws that protect you from this?

Quoting Garnet_Iris11:

Quoting JasonsMom2007:

Quoting hburnette3:

laughing

Quoting JasonsMom2007:

JasonsMom2007
by Lisa on May. 24, 2013 at 11:40 PM
1 mom liked this

Well if it makes you feel better hubby says he has seen this before so your landlord isn't the only one to do it.

nurse1997
by on May. 25, 2013 at 9:28 PM

Time for a new house  good luck

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)