Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

30 Something Moms 30 Something Moms

Moving and packed the cat!!!

Posted by on May. 26, 2013 at 9:25 PM
  • 13 Replies
Does anyone have any tips on packing and unpacking for a move to a new home? What did you trash and buy new? I have a family of six. What did you pack last unpack first? ..... We are buying a lot of new furniture but need advice of what to for sure keep. I know I will end up trashing something and regretting the night of the move!!!! Thanks in advance ladies!!
by on May. 26, 2013 at 9:25 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
OliviaW.
by Bronze Member on May. 26, 2013 at 9:29 PM
The last thing I packed up was the kitchen and bathroom.
JasonsMom2007
by Lisa on May. 27, 2013 at 4:37 AM
I've never moved with kids. Good luck!
Sunshine257
by on May. 27, 2013 at 4:40 AM
Yeah we packed the kitchen last. You just trash whatever you are tired of..

Quoting OliviaW.:

The last thing I packed up was the kitchen and bathroom.

TableforSeven
by Judy on May. 27, 2013 at 6:42 AM
2 moms liked this
How far is the move? We have done both cross-town and half-way around the world.
For shorter distance....IMO any move where you and your stuff leave and arrive at the same time-- pack up kids' stuff last and make if first unpacked at the new place.
As far as household items to take -- if you use it often, it is a family heirloom, it would be hard to replace, or it has sentimental value (this includes some items the kids are attached to) - take it. If it does not fit these categories sell/donate/toss.
Papers -- if you do not NEED originals, SCAN as much as possible and store on an external data-source....this should include kid artwork (keep a few special pieces, but you don't need every picture little Johnny ever drew...same with school papers and/or report cards/certificates).
Toys -- a move is the perfect time to get rid of all outgrown toys. If your child hasn't played with it in the last 6-12 months...sell/donate/toss.
Clothing -- same deal - if the kids have outgrown it..it's gone. If you haven't worn something in the last 12 months - sell/donate/toss.
If you are doing the move in a single day - pack the contents of the fridge and cabinets and bring it all. If the move will take a few days or longer - take non-perishables (pasta, spices, cereals, etc).

Have to go for now...my bus just started moving and I get carsick. I'll be back later to answer questions and/or add to my list when I can retread it.
TableforSeven
by Judy on May. 27, 2013 at 8:20 AM

Ok....I'm back - I was looking at the list I already typed and wanted to add a bit to it....

Important papers - it is recommended to keep tax records, and related information, for 3 years. Papers relating to real estate, rental properties, stocks, and retirement accounts you should hold onto longer.  Any paperwork that is older, you can dispose of....shred important papers properly.  Again, you can scan some papers if you aren't comfortable with completely disposing of them....but be careful with storage of personal information.  An added bonus to shredding a lot of old papers....you can use the shredded paper to pack breakable items.

Moves are the best time to get rid of all the junk you have been holding on to for no reason.  Use the same rule for all items...if you don't use it, if it is easy to replace, if it doesn't have sentimental value, and it isn't an heirloom - sell/donate/toss.

Another idea to help de-clutter the house.  If your children are old enough - given them each a box to put their favorite/most special items in.  Everything in their personal box, they get to keep....even if that means your 16 year old is still holding on to their favorite rattle from when he was a toddler.  Everything else - YOU he the, sort through to cut down on moving things that no one will use.

When packing up the actual house...assuming you are packing and not the movers.....pack up books, nickknacks, pictures, etc first.  Next do off-season clothing.  Then toys....leaving out on a few toys to entertain the kids during the process.  Kitchen items that are not for every day use....then everything but a few pots and pans a few days before the actual move (stock up on paper plates, plastics ware and plastic cups for the last few days before the move and the first few days after the move).  Kids beds should be the LAST things taken down/apart....and, as I mentioned before, should be the FIRST things off the truck and assembled in the new home.

I hope this makes sense....if you have any questions - just ask.

Also, if you have pets, I have some tips on that as well as we moved with cats and a dog....then again with cats and a guinea pig.

Obviously, all of this is for a short-distance move....meaning within one country.  I have other tips for over-seas moves if needed. :-)

KylesMom409
by Linnette on May. 27, 2013 at 8:29 AM
Same here. Best wishes.

Quoting JasonsMom2007:

I've never moved with kids. Good luck!
Karen_29
by on May. 27, 2013 at 8:37 AM

We just moved a few months ago. Because it was over a 2000 mile move i did things a little different than short moves. I packed everyone up enough clothes for the drive,a few books,a few movies,etc and put in a duffel bag. the rest in the rooms got packed up a few days before. The kitchen and beds got packed last. I cant really remember what i trashed. I do know that i gave quite a bit of clothes and dishes to goodwill. We were planning on getting new pots and pans so i kept only the ones i liked.Good Luck!

GodsGirl74
Time to get some laundry done while the kidos finish up school. Whats everyone up to today??
Today at 1:34 PM
by on May. 27, 2013 at 9:27 AM

always pack kitchen & bath last & clothing

pumpkin50
by on May. 27, 2013 at 11:59 AM

Expect the unexpected. Don't take it to seriously there will be bumps in the process.  Unpack your  toilet paper followed by bedding.

Jinxed8
by Gold Member on May. 27, 2013 at 1:21 PM

I've moved but with only 1 kid - I packed everything and the last 2 days we ate takeout - I also moved on a weekend where I didn't have DD,  made thing easier.   I trashed  a LOT of stuff.   I took this opportunity to get rid of "un-neccesary fluff I only kept what I really needed. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)