Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

30 Something Moms 30 Something Moms

my poor garden

Posted by on May. 27, 2013 at 4:50 AM
  • 8 Replies
We've had a rough season so far. First hubby was working so much we couldn't find time to pick up compost. Ended up spending a lot more to get it locally. Then our soaker hoses from last year just crumbled to shreds. We bought new ones. Our garden is on a timer so if we are gone it still gets watered. We've been fighting aphids. Picked up some lady bugs to take care of those. Then one of our new soaker hoses was letting all of the water out right in the first foot so the plants on the other side of the box weren't growing. Of course that took me a while to figure out because I assumed hubby would have checked the watering system when he put it in but no, he just assumed it would work.
And now for the first time in 6 years we have deer eating our garden!
I'm going to go insane.
Any bright ideas to keep the deer out?
by on May. 27, 2013 at 4:50 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
Thunderbug75
by on May. 27, 2013 at 7:42 AM

Sorry you are having so many problems this year.  I'm not sure but maybe human hair or moth balls might help keep them away.  Good luck!

Saharra
by Bronze Member on May. 27, 2013 at 8:01 AM
2 moms liked this
Plant perrenials that they don't like as a natural barrier. (Garlic, chives, mint, lavender) They use their smell to find food. Use it against them:)

Plant thorny, hairy, or prickly foliage. Lambs ear, blueberries, or cleome planted around plants you want protected will keep deer out. Their noses are tender :)

Hedges around your yard help.... Out of sight, out of mind :)

Trim tall grasses to deter bedding deer. Pick fruits once they're ripe, and discard crops right after harvest.

Deer dont like new, moving, or noisy things- sundials, scarecrows, or windchimes will keep them away

Relatively cheap and easy when compared to putting up a fence, string a line of monofilament around your beds within the deer feeding zone—ideally two to three feet above ground. Just as deer can't comprehend the concept of glass, this clear, taut barrier also confuses deer, ultimately causing them to flee.

KylesMom409
by Linnette on May. 27, 2013 at 8:40 AM
Awesome advice! :)

Quoting Saharra:

Plant perrenials that they don't like as a natural barrier. (Garlic, chives, mint, lavender) They use their smell to find food. Use it against them:)

Plant thorny, hairy, or prickly foliage. Lambs ear, blueberries, or cleome planted around plants you want protected will keep deer out. Their noses are tender :)

Trim tall grasses to deter bedding deer. Pick fruits once they're ripe, and discard crops right after harvest.

Deer dont like new, moving, or noisy things- sundials, scarecrows, or windchimes will keep them away

Relatively cheap and easy when compared to putting up a fence, string a line of monofilament around your beds within the deer feeding zone—ideally two to three feet above ground. Just as deer can't comprehend the concept of glass, this clear, taut barrier also confuses deer, ultimately causing them to flee.

GodsGirl74
by on May. 27, 2013 at 9:50 AM

marigolds are great to keep pests out of the garden & rabbits & other small critters hate them

JasonsMom2007
by Lisa on May. 27, 2013 at 10:37 AM
Thanks I can't trim tall grass because there's an empty lot next door but I will work on some other ideas. Looks like I have a shopping list for my sils bf.

Quoting Saharra:

Jinxed8
by Gold Member on May. 27, 2013 at 10:57 AM

I have 3 dogs and a fensed yard so no deer but cotton tail rabbits are another story !!!  So far I havn't even planted my garden yet ... only lettuce.   I just don't know If we'll be planting anything it may be too late now ... it's slowly getting over run by weeds and one of the dogs has dug a huge hole, because I havn't put the trellis up yet - it's not looking good so far

e-doolittle
by Kelly on May. 27, 2013 at 11:16 AM
Good luck!
storkradio193
by Silver Member on May. 27, 2013 at 1:37 PM

I bought some Liquid Fence to keep the rabbits away (it is designed for deer also).

http://www.cafemom.com/home/storkradio193

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)