Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The pressure to go to Disney

Posted by on May. 29, 2013 at 2:19 AM
  • 50 Replies

Is this normal or is it a California thing?  I have not been to Disneyland since I was 18 months old.  Hubby has never been.  The pressure to go is outrageous.  I mean, complete shock when people find out we have not been.  Acting like we are bad parents because our kids have not been.  You name it!

So we were planning a Disney getaway.  It's so expensive!  We were hoping to save and go next year.  But then we realized the only reason we were going was because everybody said we had to.  What kind of a reason is that?  I was already stressed over it because my almost 6 year old has sensory processing disorder and has a really hard time with crowds.  Six Flags (we have season passes) can be overwhelming for him in the busier areas.  And he really can't take more than one day of something like that.  But it's such a long drive to Disney it's not practical to go for just one day.  Plus when ds asked if there would be as many people as there are at six flags and I told him more he begged us not to go.  

We don't watch much TV.  Getting ds to watch anything new is a HUGE ordeal.  He's afraid of anything with a "bad guy" in it which knocks out pretty much every Disney film.  We've managed to get him to watch a few and he's getting a little better but my kids would have no clue who the characters were as a whole so that's not a draw for us.  Plus a friend was warning me that they tell stories and ds is so literal he would believe every one.  So if they said something about a spider in a nearby tree he would flip and want off of the ride even if he was told it wasn't read.  He won't go on any roller coasters or things like that.  He is terrified of heights.  More than say 10 feet off of the ground and he is wide eyed clinging and rapid, shallow breathing until it ends.

If he's overstimulated he becomes very violent.  Before he gets there he because very giddy and hyper.  People think I'm nuts because I say something is overloading him sensory wise (I don't intervene usually just make the observation) when he appears to be so happy.  His OT says it's a defence mechanism.  We deal with the consequences later.

So I started thinking back to my favorite vacations as a kid and yeah I remember Marine World.  I remember Knox Berry Farm.  I remember Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk.  But what do I remember about them?  Standing in lines, walking all over the place, maybe I remember a ride or two but the fun was so spaced out.  My favorite vacation was when we went to Mill Creek and took our bikes.  We spent a week camping, hiking, swimming, biking, etc.  It was non-stop fun!

So that is what we are doing.  If they want to think I'm a bad parent so be it but we are going camping for 5 days!  Going to Lassen Volcanic National Park first and then over to Redwood National Forest for a few days.  We will camp, hike, bike, and just have fun as a family.

What do you think?  Is it really so terrible not to go to Disney expecially with a child like this?

Being a full-time mother is one of the highest salaried jobs in my field, since the payment is pure love.  ~Mildred B. Vermont
by on May. 29, 2013 at 2:19 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
snowpeasmom
by on May. 29, 2013 at 2:28 AM

No its not a bad thing, I live closer to Disneyland and I know a handful of people that has never gone. My son has sensory issues too, but LOVES THRILL RIDES, he actully likes our Six Flags Magic Mountain over Disneyland, though he has passes to both, and universal and knotts berry farm. (*yes he is spoiled) It has only been at Disneyland we had to leave because the crowds overwhelmed him. I as a TA have research and have access to sites that give me crowd predictions for Disney parks, as well as others, and I watch it closely and choose what days we will go to Disneyland based on that. Before the crowd prediction Disneyland would be a hit or miss with us. I knew a parent that had a child similar to yours and he was MAD at his son the whole trip, because he paid an ARM and a LEG to go to Disneyland, and what did his son do, sit out side of every ride, no daddy that's ok I don't want to it looks too scary, or noisy, etc. The child was 8 at the time, the parent thought he had waited long enough for the child no to be scared of ANYTHING at Disneyland but that wasn't the case. Disney is very overstimulating, even for a child without issues. Go camping and enjoy.

MixedCooke
by on May. 29, 2013 at 2:34 AM

well for us we had a Florida resident deal where you pay $119 to go to 3 Disney parks (can be the same park on a different day) within a limited time frame, which is a heck of a deal since one park alone can cost upwards of $75!  We just went to the Disney parks  last weekend and had a pretty good time.  I also got a deal on Travelzoo for the Radisson hotel for $56 a night not including a resort fee, which was $15 and included breakfast and my kids ate free because of their age.  We also rented a vehicle for less than $300 for 3 days.  The total cost was roughly $1000 but for us it was my hubby's birthday weekend, also for my birthday and my eldest's pre-school graduation gift.

2 adults, 2 kids, 2 nights at hotel including breakfast, 1 mini-van rental and 4 tickets to Disney parks for 3 days=$1000, is still a pretty good deal in my opinion.

Do they have a California resident deal for Disneyland??

JasonsMom2007
by Lisa on May. 29, 2013 at 2:39 AM

Thanks :)  I could see my son shutting down and refusing to do anything for sure.  And everybody says "oh don't worry he'll be fine!" yeah if you had a kid with spd you would understand!  I mean if the ride has someone who looks scary he would refuse to go on it.  We were trying to get him to watch Hop the other day and he wouldn't do it because the chick on the front is glaring so he must be a bad guy.  A tiny detail will stop him dead in his tracks.

Quoting snowpeasmom:

No its not a bad thing, I live closer to Disneyland and I know a handful of people that has never gone. My son has sensory issues too, but LOVES THRILL RIDES, he actully likes our Six Flags Magic Mountain over Disneyland, though he has passes to both, and universal and knotts berry farm. (*yes he is spoiled) It has only been at Disneyland we had to leave because the crowds overwhelmed him. I as a TA have research and have access to sites that give me crowd predictions for Disney parks, as well as others, and I watch it closely and choose what days we will go to Disneyland based on that. Before the crowd prediction Disneyland would be a hit or miss with us. I knew a parent that had a child similar to yours and he was MAD at his son the whole trip, because he paid an ARM and a LEG to go to Disneyland, and what did his son do, sit out side of every ride, no daddy that's ok I don't want to it looks too scary, or noisy, etc. The child was 8 at the time, the parent thought he had waited long enough for the child no to be scared of ANYTHING at Disneyland but that wasn't the case. Disney is very overstimulating, even for a child without issues. Go camping and enjoy.

Being a full-time mother is one of the highest salaried jobs in my field, since the payment is pure love.  ~Mildred B. Vermont
JasonsMom2007
by Lisa on May. 29, 2013 at 2:45 AM

Southern California residents get a special discount on a season pass.  We don't get any discount.  A one day park hopper ticket is $125 for adults and $119 for children.  It's a 400 mile drive each way which would take 6 hours straight but my son has to pee 4-8 times an hour so double that at least.  Hubby would have to take off work just to drive back.  Then add in hotel stay and such and it ends up being about $950 for one day at Disney.  And my son doesn't even want to go!

Quoting MixedCooke:

well for us we had a Florida resident deal where you pay $119 to go to 3 Disney parks (can be the same park on a different day) within a limited time frame, which is a heck of a deal since one park alone can cost upwards of $75!  We just went to the Disney parks  last weekend and had a pretty good time.  I also got a deal on Travelzoo for the Radisson hotel for $56 a night not including a resort fee, which was $15 and included breakfast and my kids ate free because of their age.  We also rented a vehicle for less than $300 for 3 days.  The total cost was roughly $1000 but for us it was my hubby's birthday weekend, also for my birthday and my eldest's pre-school graduation gift.

MixedCooke
by on May. 29, 2013 at 2:55 AM
1 mom liked this

then just simply tell people your son isnt into those sorts of places.  You made that weighted blanket--you are a GREAT Mother!

Quoting JasonsMom2007:

Southern California residents get a special discount on a season pass.  We don't get any discount.  A one day park hopper ticket is $125 for adults and $119 for children.  It's a 400 mile drive each way which would take 6 hours straight but my son has to pee 4-8 times an hour so double that at least.  Hubby would have to take off work just to drive back.  Then add in hotel stay and such and it ends up being about $950 for one day at Disney.  And my son doesn't even want to go!

Quoting MixedCooke:

JasonsMom2007
by Lisa on May. 29, 2013 at 2:57 AM

aww thanks

now I need to make another weighted blanket.  That thing was a pain!  He finds this one too big and heavy to sleep under.  He can't pull it around :(

So half the size half the weight is my goal.

Quoting MixedCooke:

then just simply tell people your son isnt into those sorts of places.  You made that weighted blanket--you are a GREAT Mother!

Quoting JasonsMom2007:

Quoting MixedCooke:

MixedCooke
by on May. 29, 2013 at 3:02 AM

why not just make a weighted shirt/vest?

Quoting JasonsMom2007:

aww thanks

now I need to make another weighted blanket.  That thing was a pain!  He finds this one too big and heavy to sleep under.  He can't pull it around :(

Quoting MixedCooke:

Quoting JasonsMom2007:

Quoting MixedCooke:

JasonsMom2007
by Lisa on May. 29, 2013 at 3:04 AM

Hmmm... I'm not sure which would be easier but I'll look into it thanks for the idea!

At least he likes his heavier one for reading and such just not sleeping.

Quoting MixedCooke:

why not just make a weighted shirt/vest?

Quoting JasonsMom2007:

aww thanks

Quoting MixedCooke:

Quoting JasonsMom2007:

Quoting MixedCooke:

AmyParent
by Bronze Member on May. 29, 2013 at 3:24 AM
We just went earlier this month but only because we have a family member who works there and got three adults in free per day. Drove down Thursday, park Friday, beach and relax Saturday, park Sunday , drive back Monday ( to Sacramento) . My parent went two and we shared a hotel room and the we still spent over a grand! This is the second time we went with kids, last time was three years ago. We will probably go again in two or three years... I really enjoy it though too personally. But no it's not bad of you! You make the memories that are important to your family!!
AM-BRAT
by Member on May. 29, 2013 at 3:25 AM
Don't go?
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)