Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Can someone give me symptoms please?

Posted by on May. 29, 2013 at 6:36 PM
  • 5 Replies
This post is mostly for mothers who have children with childhood diabetes. Can you please give me some symptoms that u saw in ur child that made u have them tested. I have a 10 ds who has been acting funny the last few months. Not sick but just not himself. He is always telling me he is dizzy, light headed, or tired. We took him to dr a while back and they said maybe blood pressure dropping too low but it was also tested but that was ok. I have been finding as long as he eats a little something at least every 4 hrs he perks up. Or if he has a sugary drink he perks up. I don't know if this is a sign of anything. Told dh was going to make appointment to dr for next Arron diabetics run in both side family pretty well but dh Nd my self do not have it. Can our children still get it? And do these maybe sound like sysmtoms. Any advise would be greatly appreciate. And before I get replies like take him to dr. WELL NO DUH! He has appointment next week. The earliest I can get him in. THANKS
by on May. 29, 2013 at 6:36 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
Saharra
by on May. 29, 2013 at 7:14 PM
1 mom liked this
Yes, they can get it. It ALMOST sounds like hypoglycemia though (the opposite of diabetes). Hypoglycemia means the pancreas will work too hard to make insulin and drop the sugar. It will make him tired, dizzy, shaky, makes the mouth feel funny (depending on how low he goes and how long), and the eyes look glassy.

Diabetes will be very thirsty, tired, angry, peeing a lot, dark urine, fruity smelling breath, you can smell it in the urine, he will be hungry and not eat. If you have a tester in the home, check him at home. Then you can c all the doc with the number and see what he wants to do. He should be between 100-110, without an issue, I believe. Any higher or lower and I would certainly call.
crwspringer
by Silver Member on May. 29, 2013 at 7:22 PM
What pp said. You can also call you'd local pharmacy and ask if they test blood sugar for free. I know my local Walgreens does.
When we suspected my niece was we went and had hers tested and it was over 500.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
crwspringer
by Silver Member on May. 29, 2013 at 7:22 PM
Weight loss is another symptom
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
12yrmama
by on May. 29, 2013 at 9:19 PM

Yup. My son has hypoglycemia. Our doc had us test with diabetes meter/stripes for a few days... but it wasn't low enough for any meds. We did get a doctors note for school so he could have a snack (just one year while he had a late lunch)

Also keep a food journal. It will really help find his trigger foods. My son does best by eating a protein heavy breakfast with a fruit. And protein snacks (pb crackers, cheese, yogurts).

Our trouble was keeping up with his food on vacations/sleepovers. But one or two bad trips and now we got that down too :) you can't ever forget!

Quoting Saharra:

Yes, they can get it. It ALMOST sounds like hypoglycemia though (the opposite of diabetes). Hypoglycemia means the pancreas will work too hard to make insulin and drop the sugar. It will make him tired, dizzy, shaky, makes the mouth feel funny (depending on how low he goes and how long), and the eyes look glassy.

Diabetes will be very thirsty, tired, angry, peeing a lot, dark urine, fruity smelling breath, you can smell it in the urine, he will be hungry and not eat. If you have a tester in the home, check him at home. Then you can c all the doc with the number and see what he wants to do. He should be between 100-110, without an issue, I believe. Any higher or lower and I would certainly call.

12yrmama
by on May. 29, 2013 at 9:23 PM
Also been my experience that doctors don't really diagnose hypoglycemia very easily. Only when I said his dad has it did they even pause to consider it. Its pretty rare to have it bad enough to be a regular (daily) condition. But try the food journal and get a note for snacks at school.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)